Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
accessory belt routing for factory non a/c

Thread: accessory belt routing for factory non a/c

Junior SCH Member

accessory belt routing for factory non a/c

I have a factory non a/c car that has the p/s pump bolted to the in the a/c position.installing s-trim kit.I have asp smog elim,3g alt.,factory h2o pulley.I've seen cars in the mags with this set up,but can't figure how to get a belt to fit without tensionor contact the h2o pulley.Any help appreciated.

Junior SCH Member
    Well after a half dozen trips to four different parts stores and 8 belt purchases.I have successfully got my accessory belt to work on my factory non a/c stang.No I didn't have to go with a larger p/s pump pulley or any other mods.The belt that made it work is a goodyear P/N 4060845 sold at Autozone,ironically this belt is listed as the factory replacement for 87-93 5.0L non a/c stangs on their database.This got me wondering why the belt that came off my car was too long by far.Turns out the replacement belt I bought at Napa P/N 060845 (part # almost the same)is a 85 1/4" were as the goodyear belt is 84 1/2".That 3/4 of a inch was the difference I needed.As of right now I have a 1/4 of an inch clearance between my h20 pump pulley and tensioner.Hopefully,belt stretch won't narrow it too much.Also in order to install the belt you will have to remove the upper p/s pump bracket bolt and rotate the pump towards the driver side of the car.Two people really help here,one to hold the tensioner up,the other to install belt,move pump and insert bracket bolt.Also for you guys that want to ditch your a/c and like the look of the p/s pump put in its place.The a/c eliminator kit that Ford racing sells under p/n m-8511-A50 is just the stock bracketry that came on all 87-93 non a/c stangs.so this will apply.

Senior SCH Member
    My experiences has been that u w/have to either get a larger PS pulley(80's 6 cyl t-bird and some others) and/or a 93 Cobra H2o pump pulley due 2 belt stretch..Good luck!!!

Junior SCH Member
    You will need to modify the tensioner. The belt will have to go up over the pulley..not underneath. Here is a snippit of an email I just recently sent some one...

Hey man.
    Here are some pics. I have the smog pump and alt on the passenger side.
    My car had no AC. The PS pump is on the drivers side. If you set it all up and put the tensioner in place, you'll find that it hits the top of WP pulley. How do you fix this you ask??
    Grind off the tit on the back of the tensioner. Then drill a new hole for the tensioner in the tensioner bracket. Make that hole a half inch lower than the original. Then put the belt over the top of the tensioner. The tensioner no longer works automatically. Tension the belt by hand with the tensioner and tighten the bolt up tight! The tensioner will not loosen off. By hand is tight enough.
    Oh, and another thing..the bolt for the s/c tensioner pulley may hit the accessory belt...so point it outwards towards the rad...I had to then grind the head of the bolt thinner..like that one s/c tensioner bolt that has the thin head.
    Let me know if you need any more help..
    I can take more pics.
    Jonathon

The Belt I used was 87.5 inches long.....
    SOLD!!!! 442.3 rwhp 421.2 ftlbs @ 10 psi SAE
    87 Mustang GT
    306, 10-1 comp., B303, J&P ported 6037's, ported fake Ebrock intake, 65mm tb, 70mm egr, 3.73, 1.7 RR's, Pro-M 75 S/C calibration, 42lb injectors, B&M RIPPER, BBK LT's, RACE MAGNUMS w/offroad! and Pretty blue TAYLOR's!
    308.1 rwhp 327.6 rwtq -N/A

Junior SCH Member

SOLD!!!! 442.3 rwhp 421.2 ftlbs @ 10 psi SAE
    87 Mustang GT
    306, 10-1 comp., B303, J&P ported 6037's, ported fake Ebrock intake, 65mm tb, 70mm egr, 3.73, 1.7 RR's, Pro-M 75 S/C calibration, 42lb injectors, B&M RIPPER, BBK LT's, RACE MAGNUMS w/offroad! and Pretty blue TAYLOR's!
    308.1 rwhp 327.6 rwtq -N/A

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the ideas guys, if I should have any more problems I will look into those alternatives.Well I did do one more modification, I wasn't comfortable with a 1/4" of clearance.I pulled off the vortech tensioner braket and drilled another pilot hole 1/2" below the other one.Reclocking the tensioner up higher, now I have plenty of clearance.one other thing I should say is that I actually ran the belt with no tensioner and it stayed guitar string tight,but i was uncomfortable with it so put on the tensioner.I have put about 50 miles on the car since this last mod and no change in belt clearance,and they have been hard miles.one of my motorcycle buddies with a cbr 929rr was over and we went and played.From a 40 mph roll on I pulled on him hard.I can't wait to go to the track once this car is dialed in.I have high hopes the car will run good with the blower,since my car ran consistant 12teens with the best of 11.94@111mph n/a.Thanks again for the info guys.

Junior SCH Member
    I may be wrong but I think that your buddy needs to learn how to ride that 929. If not your car must really be flying. How much boost u running.
    1992 Coupe 308 tfs tw heads, Holley intake, tfs stage 2 cam,1 5/8 long tubes, bullet 75, 70 T/B, 3.55 and tremec, 30 lb injectors , Hope to get a SC-trim in january looking for best deal now

Junior SCH Member
    No your probally right capmorgan.I went from a second gear punch with the revs up high.who knows what gear or rpm the 929 was at when we hit it.taking nothing away from my friend,he is new to open class sport bikes.I'm sure with a experienced rider a 929 could hand me my ***.My 2003 cbr954rr went 10.55@132mph completely stock with only 1200 miles on it at the time and I weigh in at 230+.

Junior SCH Member
    Oh my car pull 10psi of boost with stock vortech pulley