Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

novi 1000 max rpm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: novi 1000 max rpm

Senior SCH Member

novi 1000 max rpm

does anyone know what the maxium rpm the 1000 can handle? i figure using the f150 pulley right now i'm spinning the 1000 at 47554 rpms with the engine reving to 6200. thats moving. just changing the blower pulley to a 2.75 it will be spinning at 51877 rpms

I was actually wondering the same thing! I am going to call Paxton Monday AM to find out.

Ian

SCH Member

you guys got me thinkin' ..

.. with a stock pulley (you Fox Mustang guys like Ian, Steve, ISLAND LX and Goliath come to mind) at what RPM do you start making boost?

.. when running the 6.5, or a 7", when would you start making boost?

.. the idea of shifting at 6000 rpm horrifies me with a 100K plus motor (I still have picks somewhere of what was left of a Pontiac 400 after powershifting my old '78 TA at 5K, which went on to becoming a 73 Eldorado powered 78TA :o ) . Maybe I just baby it too much, but right now it's my only ride until I move. The Mighty Jeep is gone:( , but so is my wife :D

Maybe a rev limiter is the order of the day?

.. now, time for an idiot check- where are you guys tapping off at to read your boost? I'm running my vac/boost gauge off the vacuum tree by the master cylinder.. WTF am I doing wrong here guys. Humble me please..

Senior SCH Member
    i have a 6.5" crank pulley on mine and i start to develop boost at about 3000 rpms. my boost gage is t'd into the vaccum line that goes over to the fuel pressure regulator

I actually never had the stock pulley installed, I installed my new motor with the F150 on it.

I set my light @ 5900 and shift right at 6K, but I have a balanced and blueprinted 308 with 28OZ balance.

I see boost at about 2500 with the F150, but remember I have a Lentech. I use the 6AL box with a 6000 chip to be safe, you do not want to hit the stock limiter.

My line for the boost comes out of the intake itself. To get a true reading of boost, you want to tap after the TB.

Ian

The max RPM of the 1K is 55,000 RPM.

The 8" crank pulley is pushing it too fast :( According to the math the 8" crank is pushing the little NOVI to 56640 RPM, a 7.5 is pushing 53100 (I think I may go this way)

Ian

Senior SCH Member
    did they say what that rating is for? is it a max safe limit or is it a limit you don't want to even get close to? just wondering because if i go with a 2.75 pulley on the novi i will be spinning it at 51877 and if 55000 is the point at which the thing will start flying apart i'll just stay where i'm at right now.

That is the MAX, I would take that to mean the max they recommend. Everything can be pushed more, but I would go no higher than 55000.

If I upgrade, I am staying with the stock blower pulley and a 7.5 crank pulley from ASP.

Ian

BLOWER TIP OF THE DAY

Originally posted by 88cobra

I use the 6AL box with a 6000 chip to be safe, you do not want to hit the stock limiter.

Ian

Ian makes an excellent point here about the stock limiter and may I suggest putting this in a "tips" section so everyone knows as a lot of Mustang owners aren't aware of this. The factory rev limiter works by shutting down fuel at 6200rpm. This is about the worst way you can do it and Ford should be ashamed of themselves for doing it this way. Here's why: Say your pulling over six grand in your blown Stang, you hit the rev limiter. Guess what happens? The fuel shuts down and the motor goes instantly lean. How many times have you been told to make sure your blown car has enough fuel especially at the top end? Too many to count right? If this happens you'll be lucky if you just blow a head gasket 'cause more than likely you'll kill a few pistons, scorch your nice aluminum heads, etc. Even if you've chipped your computer or use a PMS whatever to extend the factory rev limiter it doesn't matter, it still functions the same way. So if you like to play up there and don't want to hurt the motor for that one day that you WILL miss a shift, spend the money on a good ignition box from either Crane or MSD that has a built in rev limiter and set it below the factory limit (6000 or just below is good for you stock bottom end guys like myself as I'll be shifting at 5700, no higher). It's a lot cheaper than installing new pistons!

:D

I should mention the MSD and Crane boxes limit rpm by cutting off the spark ( the right way to do it!) I'm not totally familiar with the MSD box ( I'm a Crane fan) but the Crane box alternates the spark through the firing order whan the limiter is hit. This way the cylinders just don't simply load up with fuel.

Senior SCH Member lx-convertible's Avatar
    so then forget about the 8" pulley GP, how about a 7.5 GP!!!!

A 7.5" GP would be nice...I'd be interested in a 7.5" pulley. That monster 8" is going to be too big for me.
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer

But the 8" crank pulley is FUN mang!!! LoL!
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

Stangs and other SVT products I've owned...

2001 F150 SVT Lightning (Silver)
    JDM Stage 1 & 2 kit and 3k+ worth of audiosex
    [ sold... ]

91 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

#001 8" Crank Pulley Club

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

"ALWAYS OUT NUMBERED, NEVER OUT GUNNED"

Mustang Videos! Watch'em, upload'em and we host them at:

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar

Re: BLOWER TIP OF THE DAY

Originally posted by TheHawk05
    ...the worst way you can do it and Ford should be ashamed of themselves for doing it this way. Here's why: Say your pulling over six grand in your blown Stang, you hit the rev limiter. Guess what happens? The fuel shuts down and the motor goes instantly lean.
    This info isn't correct. I've been running an eec-tuner on my car, and combing through the eec-tuner archives, since last April, & feel like I have a pretty good handle on things at this point.

Factory rev limiter: at least in the A9x strategies, eec cuts the PIP signal at 6250 rpm, in other words this is an ignition cutoff, not a fuel cutoff. There are also fuel cutoffs in the stock eec programming, which in oem form are set so high up that hopefully you will never hit them! Here is an excerpt from Ford's A9L binary:

PIP 961 # Minimum PIP period (PIP = 6250000/maxRPM)
    HALF_FUEL_REV_LIMIT_ON 8000 # Turn on half-fuel rev limit
    HALF_FUEL_REV_LIMIT_OFF 7500 # Turn off half-fuel rev limit
    NO_FUEL_RPM 7000 # Max RPM (no fuel)

As for cutting all fuel being lean, this is also incorrect. You have to have *some* fuel being injected to be lean! Pure air is just that, pure air - nothing else is there to cause detonation. This is why Ford set it up to cut ignition first, and then cut all fuel. Not sure why they even stuck the half fuel lines in there, since the total ignition and fuel cuts come before this could ever happen. BTW I have set my PIP cutoff at 6k rpm and it works just like the oem cutoff at 6250, which I only ever hit when a crappy floormat caught my throttle pedal. (once!).

Re: Re: BLOWER TIP OF THE DAY

Originally posted by fanglemeister
    BTW I have set my PIP cutoff at 6k rpm and it works just like the oem cutoff at 6250, which I only ever hit when a crappy floormat caught my throttle pedal. (once!).
    Damnit! Now I don't wanna leave my floormat in after reading this! And I just put it back in just yesterday! LoL! I guess the good ol' floor mat is 86'd!
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

Stangs and other SVT products I've owned...

2001 F150 SVT Lightning (Silver)
    JDM Stage 1 & 2 kit and 3k+ worth of audiosex
    [ sold... ]

91 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

#001 8" Crank Pulley Club

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

"ALWAYS OUT NUMBERED, NEVER OUT GUNNED"

Mustang Videos! Watch'em, upload'em and we host them at: