Thread: Calling all electricians

Calling all electricians

Ok, I finally have my fuel pressure gauge and boost gauge. I'm using a Autometer Gauge Cage to mount them in. I've already made the modifications to the vents and I have the gauges mounted. All that's left is to make all the wiring connections and slide the gauges in. My problem is that I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to electronics...Since the gauges are going in the center vent, I don't have much room to work with. I have enough room to slide the wires over toward the steering wheel but from there I get lost...I need to find the dash lighting so the gauges will have light, I need to find a good ground, and I need to find a spot in the firewall to drill a hole to get the wires into the engine bay.

Can someone help me? There are so many wires behind the steering wheel and down by the fuses that when I see them, my brain stops working... :hmm:
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer

Oh Boy. Here's my suggestion. I go into my engine bay from the drivers side of the fire wall if you look up towards the top kinda to the right of the brake booster you can see a hole that goes right in the car. It's pretty good size. Hmm now for lights go to your auto parts store and buy one of those poker things with a light in it. turn on your lights and start poking some wires. Find one that is hooked up to the dimmer and use that one. I bought this little handie connector that just snaps over the wire and has a male end on it that then you just plug a female into. Look for something else under the dash that's grounded and just secure them there with a pole connector. I think mine are grounded to the under dash support. It's a pain in the *** and be glad you have a vented mounted cage, and not an a-pillar pod setup. Hollar if you need any more help.

Brandon

And here the whole time I was saying to myself "I should have out them on the a-pillar." I was just getting frustrated with it today and needed a break...I'll poke around tomorrow and see what I can do. Thanks!
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer

Much better today! I all that's left is to stuff the FP sender on the schrader valve and route the nylon tubing for the boost gauge. I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL SPRING!! I WANNA DRIVE!!!

Way to go man!

I know how the gauges can be confusing. I have 6 and the tach :D

Ian

i know you got your's installed, but here's a tip that might help others.

the haynes book for each car has an electrical wiring diagram in the back. every wire has a different color or combination of colors. the haynes book will let you figure out which colored wire is what you need. then just locate that color, get the clip on connector and you're done. my book cost about $14 and it's more than payed for itself.

i'm sure most of you know about it, but maybe this will help someone else.
    -------------
    01 GT with Novi1000