Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Spout out timing ???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spout out timing ???

Spout out timing ???

What's a ballpark timing point to start at running somewhere around 11-12#'s???

Also, with the spout out will a BTM do anything???
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Sean, I had no probs @ 24 locked with 10 psi last year and i think chuck did the same. And that was with more compression than you have. But with any new combo I start low and work my way up. The BTM is supposed to pull timing even thought the spout is pulled. Did you read the post on corral about this? The deal with the air compressor test and the btm while the car is running? When is the fire up date? :D ;)
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

24?? Glad I asked I was thinking 28, lol.

I've got a tweecer but no time at this point to jack with timing curves and the like.

If all goes well & I didn't "F" anything up to major then it should fire Sunday pm, I've got a buddy coming by to help me put the trans in and get it buttoned up.

I missed that post on the Corral.
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

It depends on what kind of fuel you will be running.

I used 114 mixed with 94 and I got up to 24* total without any probs but my clutch let go when I set it to 26. I wouldnt go more than 26* I would just add more boost ;)
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Best we can get here is 93 outta the pump, I'll probably run ~5-6 gals total volume with a 50/50 mix of 93 and 110.

I can always pull timing via the BTM:D

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 LX
    What's a ballpark timing point to start at running somewhere around 11-12#'s???

Also, with the spout out will a BTM do anything???
    Most guys with a BTM run in the 28-29* range and set the BTM to pull it back to around 19-20* @ full boost. You can only do this if you are using an MSD or Crane HI-6 box with timing retard abilities using the spout out method.....you can't do this and try to pull timing with your Tweecer as the EEC timing section is rendered useless when the spout is removed.

This may be a stupid question but how do you measure/set total timing. I understand how to set the base (spout out) timing and I understand how the BTM pulls timing proportional to boost but can someone fill me in on the rest please??????
    Jason

92 Notch w/ S-trim (6.87/2.95), 04 PMS, UPR pipe, WMS w/b, GT-40Y heads, Cobra manifold, B303, 1.6 stud r/r, 65mm TB, 80mm Pro-M, 42# injectors, FRPP balancer, FRPP aluminum rad, FRPP blue hose kit, Ramcharger fan, Edelbrock w/p, Canton 7qt pan, MAC 1 5/8" shorties, MAC catted H-pipe, Flowmaster cat back, MAC springs, Tokico HPs, MM c/c plates, Steeda X2s, MM adj. rears, Cobra brakes, 17" Cobra R's, 3.55 gears, aluminum d/s, Hurst, Cobra clutch, Kenny Brown subs + K-brace, Ultra-lites, MSD 6AL, GSS340-255lph intank.

You pull the spout and twist the dizzy till it's @ 20-24 and leave the spout out all the time. BTM guys set the total to 28 sometime 30 and then pull the timing with the BTM as boost increases back to 20-22 or so. Pulling the spout makes for a very consistent drag car and helped my car idle a little bit better.

Sean, I ran 24 total all year last year and never moved it one time. When I put the ol 8" crank on I left it alone just to see what it would do and never had any knock on 94 octane. ALTHOUGH---3 days before I tore it down I flogged it at the track all day and put in some torco 112 just for giggles and the car sped up about .3-.5mph consistently.... beats me...
    Last edited by regattacoupe; 04-17-2004 at 07:21 AM.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Quote Originally Posted by TheHawk05
    Most guys with a BTM run in the 28-29* range and set the BTM to pull it back to around 19-20* @ full boost. You can only do this if you are using an MSD or Crane HI-6 box with timing retard abilities using the spout out method.....you can't do this and try to pull timing with your Tweecer as the EEC timing section is rendered useless when the spout is removed.
    Hawk, I run the Digital 6 with the standalone BTM piggybacked to it. I do have a Tweecer R/T but will not have the time to mess with all that tuning before next weekend. I'm just looking to get it fired up and running well enough to get me down the track an 1/8 mile at a time :D Idle quality is not a major issue at this point, I'm just looking at WOT. Gonna probably borrow a trailer for this event.

WOW! A lot of reading but I found my answer to the same question
    http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...g&pagenumber=1

Good info in that thread...Thanks JR!!

After all that reading I have been outside working with my timing. I took out the spout and advanced to 20 degrees and I can't get the idle to come down past 1100-1200 rpms. I have tried adjusting the throttle screw as well as the air intake screw on the TB. Oh well... It does feel stronger though. I also have my BTM knob set on 2.5-3 and it seems to be pulling out the detination, but I need to go ahead and calibrated my BTM, so I'm going out to do that now. If I can not get the rpms to fall back to 850 I will just use this set up at the track. I had initial timing at 10 with the spout in and never saw more than 5 psi @ WOT. I took a hard run with the new set up and saw 8 psi for the 1st time with a 3.33 pulley!

Sean, 302man over on the corral is a good friend of mine. Send him a pm and he will explain all that you want to know about spout out timing.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Brandon, I read the post above where he replied and gained quite a bit of useful info.

Thanks!!

Thanks Brandon I just sent him and email and we are trying to figure it out my idle problem. :)