Thread: Stripped Threads - Belt Tension plate

Junior SCH Member

Exclamation Stripped Threads - Belt Tension plate

I just made a stupid mistake! I feeling like shooting myself!

I overtightened the bolt that anchors the belt tensioner plate to the Vortech head.

The belt tension plate is held down by 3 bolts. The one that is stripped is the one that bolts on to the middle of the head. It no longer tightens.

What are my options? Would using a stud instead of a bolt be a good idea? There looks to be space for a stud given the correct length. Would a heli coil help out in this situation? If so, can it be done without opening the head?

I spoke to Vortech and they said for me to send the entire head to them. The will replace the insert and do a "minor" repair- check/replace seals, bearings, etc. About $500 max.

Very simple - get yourself a heli-coil kit, drill out the threads, tap for the heli coil and install. Very easy, quick, and cheap.

Ian

Senior SCH Member
    Id do as Ian said. If you dont wanna do it yourself. Bring it in to a machine shop they'll charge ya like $20-$30 Id think. Good Luck.
    1990 GT Convertible

helicoil kits are about $15.00. greatest thing since sliced bread. just remember to put a stop on the drill bit so you don't go through the cover (if you do it yourself).
    306 DSS, S-TRIM W/RENEGADE PULLIES, EXTRUDE HONED LOWER GT40, FULLY PORTED AND LOC WIRED GT40 HEADS, PERMANENT 10 INCH SLICKS.