Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BLOWER GUYS/Gals!! What temps you running?

Senior SCH Member

BLOWER GUYS/Gals!! What temps you running?

Blower guys/gals what temps you running?
    Im looking for some advise here on a cooling issue Im having.
    I do realize that blower cars tend to run warmer than normal but I do see an occasional blower guy saying they dont run warm.

I run a Vortech blower. And she'll run at 180* under normal driving unless its real hot out like 85* and up. Then shell run a bit warmer.

When Im in traffic or if I get on the car a bit she'll roam up to like 205* and soon after I try to shut it down or turn the heater on, don't wanna have a too hot condition.

I dont really see a weak link in this system other than rad possibly.

Heres my cooling system
    -1 month old Summit water pump
    -new coolant and water wetter
    -new OEM fan blade
    -clutch fan is fairly new , (although it was recommended to test it out again)
    -180* t-stat
    -Stock shroud free of cracks
    -New rad cap
    -No name 3 core radiator 4 years old but only has seem like 4000 miles. Doesn't not appear to have corrosion or clogs by eye anyway. I may have it boiled out to make sure.

I'd like to hear what others are doing and running. I'd like to run the a/c this year since I just fixed it but w/ warm runnin temps I don't see that happening.
    1990 GT Convertible

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I run a 195 thermostat and no water wetter other than that mine is the same as yours except I run a VR4 that is self contained but under full boost running True Street with 3 back to back runs and 95 degrees outside I never seen over 200 degrees.

Senior SCH Member
    Thats w/ a no name radiator as well?
    1990 GT Convertible

On the day SSOTN had their dyno day at LaRocca's, my car idled for over 30 mins. Never went above 175 degrees. This was a stock replacement 3 core radiator, 50/50 mix, i think a 180 thermostat and a stock fan and fan clutch, and a stock water pump.

I have a 180 stat, 50/50 mix & a Fluidyne. I usually stay at the "O" in normal. Before the Fluidyne I was always in the "M" and "A". I will be installing a temp gauge this weekend to get a more accurate reading.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Mine is with a 3 core Pep Boys rad that I have been running now for 4 years

Senior SCH Member
    Its lookin like a rad situation more and more to me. Maybe internally mine isnt flowing as it should.
    1990 GT Convertible

Senior SCH Member
    Well just to let ya know I just ordered the Summit aluminum radiator. I should have it in this weekend. Ill keep ya posted. Its a good shot at solving the problem and besides if it doesnt I know I have a kick azz radiator. I have no idea what rad is in there now name brand wise. For all I know it can be broken down internally.Wish me luck huh!
    1990 GT Convertible

Senior SCH Member
    Well for those helping out. I put in the new Summit Alumnum rad today. Took her out after a 20 minute idle and beat up on her a little for about 15 minutes drove her home let her idle some more she never touched the 180 mark SHe ran at like 175*ish on teh autometer guage. So far that solved my problem. I guess with some warmer air temps and traffic that will be the true test. Thanks to those who helped.
    1990 GT Convertible

Junior SCH Member
    My combo runs warm too with a new off brand 3 core rad new waterpump and 180 thermo 50/50 coolant it gets hot quick to when run hard. Any problems with running 160 thermo or is this wrong.

Senior SCH Member
    I dont think the 160 tstat is the answer. But see what the others say.
    1990 GT Convertible

I just installed the Autometer gauge and my temp stays around 200-210. My stock gauge is still reading in the O-R in Normal. I wonder what temps I was reading when it was in the M-A before I installed the Fluidyne!?
    I've heard the SN95s don't run at peak power until the temp is around 210.
    I was told that a 96-98 Cobra fan would help a lot oppossed to the 94-95 style I currently have.
    It has been around 65-80 degrees here lately and with my manual high speed fan on switch the temp never falls below 195 at best.

SCH Member
    im running a 180º t-stat, fms 2core aluminum radiator, stock electric fan, stock water pump...

normal driving it stays around 188-192.. after going through the gears @ WOT it gets to around 200-205, then drops back down to 190 or so.

Junior SCH Member

Junior SCH Member
    my car will run about 195-210 depends on how much i beat on it.