Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick question about where you mount the mas air.

I'm sure you're tuner will be able to work out the bugs with out too much trouble. It's amazing what a good tune will do...
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Junior SCH Member
    I hope so.... cause this car will be a monster...

Junior SCH Member
    Can any of you guys tell me from this flow sheet what size injectors this meter is caled too?

Flow Sheet

Is the injector curve the size of the injectors?
    So it caled to 96 pound injectors right?

Yeah, that's exactly what that means.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Goose
    Can any of you guys tell me from this flow sheet what size injectors this meter is caled too?

Flow Sheet

Is the injector curve the size of the injectors?
    So it caled to 96 pound injectors right?
    I just checked my Pro-M flow sheet. "96" inidcates the base file Pro-M started with and the "42" is the injector size.

Junior SCH Member
    OK cool.... I was going to say... should be 42 not 96...

Thanks!

Junior SCH Member
    Sorry guys but I almost never check this site. The ProM meters will run pig rich and not idle until you tune them. They apparently tune the for top end power and leave a huge error tolerance at the lower idle rpms.

I had the same problems with both my Univer and Tube... had it tuned by SCT and the thing idles like a stock 2valve now.

So far I'm having no problems with the way I setup my piping... I have almost a foot of straight pipe prior to my blow thru tube.. If I was having problems I could rotate the meter (tube) clockwise or counter clockwise to compensate for turbulance.

Good luck, Ralph
    2003 BLK GT (5 spd)

Got 8 Ribs?
    Scary Mods

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryGT
    Sorry guys but I almost never check this site. The ProM meters will run pig rich and not idle until you tune them. They apparently tune the for top end power and leave a huge error tolerance at the lower idle rpms.

I had the same problems with both my Univer and Tube... had it tuned by SCT and the thing idles like a stock 2valve now.

So far I'm having no problems with the way I setup my piping... I have almost a foot of straight pipe prior to my blow thru tube.. If I was having problems I could rotate the meter (tube) clockwise or counter clockwise to compensate for turbulance.

Good luck, Ralph
    Okay, I'm gona' stick up for Pro-M right here... the Univer meter deals with airflow TOTALY different than any other meter, as shown by two different tuners on my car last year. EVERY problem that I had was directly related to the meter and I took it back in time and time again to get callibrated with the same exact results. I had it up to a VERY reputable shop to get tuned and they could NOT get it to work right... I then had Pro-M's tuner look at the car and he wipped up a program that made the car work like a dream, his explanation to me is that you can not buy this meter without having the car tuned and expect it to work (obviously... I already knew that) and he also said that just about every tuner out there doesn't pay attention to the flow sheets when dialing in the initial numbers for the injector curves... he said that this is crutial and that was how he based his quick tune to get the thing on the road... and it worked great. The Univer just simply deals with the air differently than any other meter due to the way it samples it.

Sorry about overlooking that callibration... I just glanced at it, my bad.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Junior SCH Member

Pro M Univer Idle

My car idles horribly with the Pro M univer!!!!!! Has anyone used a lighting maf with 42lb injectors with good results on a 98GT with a p1sc? I've got the Univer calibrated for 30lb injectors now but I am looking to upgrade to 42s. At idle my a/f meter is showing no cycling at all and then a few seconds later it starts to cycle. . At the same time my fuel pressure shoots up to about 55-65 psi. Cruising is no problem and the a/f meter reads stoichiometric all the while fuel pressure is about 45-55psi. WOT in boost also has it running safely rich. If I were to use a lightning maf would it be just plug and play or are there other tuning issues? The bend in from the intercooler tubing does not have 12" before the meter.

As I said before... read my previous post. Do NOT expect to plug a Univer into your car and have it work. It is a completely different meter that has a totally different way of sensing the airflow than the standard sample tube style meter. You HAVE to get the car tuned for it to run right, that is the bottom line.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Junior SCH Member

lightning maf

Ok, so will the lightning maf work on my car with no issues?

I can't help you there, but what I can tell you is that the Univer is a better meter, you just need your car tuned once installed... which as you know, you should do anyway.

There aren't many ways of looking at it... if you turn a car that was originally designed to be N/A into a forced induction application... there are only so many things you can do to make it run right without actually having the computer "tuned" or reprogrammed to accept what you have done and manage the fuel safely and correctly to make good, safe power. Your best bet is to stick with the Univer that you already have and get your car tuned... it will run better in every aspect, be safe, and make way more power anyway... I don't see why some people are resistant to doing the job the right way.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Junior SCH Member
    Well my car is going to the tuner tomorrow on a trailer... hoping for the best here! Can't wait!

Good deal! Can't wait to hear how it turns out... let us know. You'll be happy, trust me, that was a very good move to get it tuned.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Junior SCH Member
    Well so far we got the car to idle back to normal... The voltage of the MAS on the data logger shows everything is fine... soo now just to tune the car on the dyno followed by a street tune session.