Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Whats up with the Vane inside the volute?

Thread: Whats up with the Vane inside the volute?

Whats up with the Vane inside the volute?

What is the deal with the volute and the vane inside it? Does this hinder performance and if so, how much? I have access to a machine shop but just noticed it bends around with the volute neck. I'm going to be running the blower pretty hard and if this thing will lower the CFM capability I wanna know. I've heard of people machining these out in all out race setups. Anyone know if Paxton will do this work and for how much. They owe me a dyno pull at paxton from my initial install, I'd rather exchange that for machine work or credit toward it.

The best information I have on that one is that it does serve a purpose. According to a magazine review I have, it was put there to help straighten the air after making that 90* turn before entering the discharge tube. Paxton also utilizes it in the race version of the Novi as far as I know as well and from what I've read it doesn't cost performance. I'm sure it might cost a bit in an application pumping out like 25lbs of boost but even for applications running 15lbs, I wouldn't worry about it. Another way to look at it is I doubt Paxton engineers would have went through the trouble and added cost of incorporating it into the design if it didn't serve a purpose that was beneficial. If it was me I'd leave it alone. A little while ago I read an article in MM&FF when they compared the a Novi 2000 race version to Vortech's YS I believe, and they too pointed out that little design quirk. But the results speak for themselves. The Novi made more power across the rpm range than the Vortech and did it running less boost so they're doing something right.