Thread: bypass valve idiot check

SCH Member

bypass valve idiot check

which way do you hook up a Bosch bypass valve? What's the purpose of it dumping back to the blower inlet side? Can you just leave it open?

If you have Mass Air, you should have the bypassed air go back into the inlet of the SC. this is because its metered air, meaning the mass air has told the computer how much air is coming in and how to adjust,,, if you loose this air,, the car usually runs rich... You can have it blow into the atmosphere,, thats the way mine is now, and I have not really had any problems.. sometimes I have to blip my throttle a bit after crossing the 1/4 mile finish to prevent the car from stalling,, .. Bee

SCH Member
    its a Mass Air ('89) I'm just wondering about this and which way it's s'posed to face

The point of the Bypass valve is tp protect the impeller from the forced air hitting a closed throttle plate and coming back forcing the impeller in the opposite direction eg.for idle and coming down from high RPM .
    How do I explain how it goes in.....the part where the vacuum line attaches to the nub should be pointing to your fire wall therefore the opposite end points towards the blower and the end pointing up is pointing at your throttle body area...Then just attach the hoses
    432 rwhp 404 rwtq.........11.76 @ 120mph on nitto's!!!
    Novi 1000, 8lbs of boost, stock cam, performer intake and heads, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, 1 5/8" long tubes, 3.55's, 555 DR's (dyno'd on mustang dyno)
    Daily Driver
    My idling Novi 1000 vid
    1/4 mile run Sorry it's a little old now
    Club Videos
    Pics&Mods

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinner
    The point of the Bypass valve is tp protect the impeller from the forced air hitting a closed throttle plate and coming back forcing the impeller in the opposite direction eg.for idle and coming down from high RPM .
    How do I explain how it goes in.....the part where the vacuum line attaches to the nub should be pointing to your fire wall therefore the opposite end points towards the blower and the end pointing up is pointing at your throttle body area...Then just attach the hoses
    i just read a whole bunch of stuff saying "that the side directly opposite of the vaccuum goes to the blower discharge side (the pipe between the blower and the throttle body)." They say the vacum should be pointing DOWN.

WTF? Anybody got a pic? The old Novipower pics don't work anymore!

I'll snap you a pic here after it gets light out and post back up here. On mine though, the vacuum is pointing towards the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

SCH Member
    Will you hear them discharge if not piped back into the supercharger inlet, that would be kinda cool. :)
    93 LX Convertible, Saleen body kit & decals, Balanced 306, B303, 1.7rr, TRW Forged pistons, Explorer intake, GT40p heads,Head studs, 70mm T.B,

Senior SCH Member
    So the side exit goes to the intake the the exit opposite of the vacuum nub comes from the boosted tube? Where should the vacuum source be coming from, the one attached to the nub, right from the upper manifold?

Jesse
    89 LX Coupe: 306, TFTW, TF stage 1, Vic Jr, 750dp, longtubes, 4R70W 3k Edge, 3.73's, QA1 coilovers/k-member/CC plates, Crane HI-6/TRC-2
    7# times: 1.56 7.44@93 11.72@112
    NA times: 1.86 8.24@84 12.97@104
    baseline in progress.

And the shakedowns begin...

SGT USMC Infantry 3x Veteran

Senior SCH Member
    One side goes from the mass air or power pipe area to the bypass valve then to the other side of the bypas valve goes to the discharge tube. You then connect a vacuum hose to the "nub" on the bypass valve and attach the other end to the back of the upper intake. Make sure you use good hose clamps on everything and that all fittings are air tight. Otherwise you'll lose meter air and the car will run rough.

Junior SCH Member
    I have read all of these post and now I'm confused does anyone have a pic to post please in need of help