Thread: Shreading Belts, Need HELP!

Question Shreading Belts, Need HELP!

I went to the track lastnight and made two incomplete passes. The first pass the belt was shreaded like it was in a cheese grader. The second pass removed all of the cogs off of the belt. The belts are shreading at the 1-2 shift. I am running the Kevlar 1440 belts from ASP. The belt is torqued to 65 lbs per ASP rec. I am running one of the old Cartech adjustable blower braces to the strut tower to help elliminate flex. My combo is 77 crank and 27 blower. I am shifting at 6500 rpm .

I was thinking i am going to have to try a bigger blower pulley, maybe by slowing it down the teeth my last. I was also thinking i may i have to setup a second tensioner pulley.

Any thoughts? All comments are appreciated.

You might need another bypass valve. With a 77/27 setup you are moving a shitload of air. If the single mondo bypass you have can't release most of the air, the impeller might be locking between shifts when you close the tb for a second and the air will want to go back where it came from. Obviously if the impeller is locking the blower pulley will come to a complete stop and the crank will want to keep moving because of the momentum. The result could be the reason you are shredding belts. That is my guess.

Well, we made an idler pulley and put it where the tensioner was. We moved the tensioner to the bottom side of the belt. This looked like it solved the problem. Went to the track and lost the belt a little before the end. We think the belt would have lasted but the dam idler pulley got loose and took tension off of the belt. The belt did survive the 1-2 shift. The run was going pretty good.

Junior SCH Member
    ya I'm shredding belt too! YS-trim cog, three runs, each time killing a belt. Hoping that Ians 1/2 inch plate and arber set up will do the trick alnog with a custom tensioner to the strut tower? Anyone else having the same problem ??????