Thread: P1SC Stage II sputter/misfire

Junior SCH Member

P1SC Stage II sputter/misfire

I just installed an ATI into a friends 96 stock stang. It worked great when he left my garage and on his way home it started sputtering/missing when he accelerates above 2000-2500. So the first thing we did is check the plugs AGAIN and the wires. We even swaped wires AND took the blower out of the loop and it sitll does it. The car WITHOUT the blower doesnt want to run right after about 2000rpm's. We even disconected the inline pump and installed his aftermarket chip that was burned for the combinaton. The car STILL ran like it was misfiring or studdering under SLIGHT acceleration. When it is cold the problem is not there....but as soon as it is running and temp is normal operation, it sputters/misses/misfires. At one time we even made the engine check light come on at 1 sec intervals indicating a missfire. Now here is my question. the only thin that we have left to turn back to the original start point before the s/c install is the NEW plugs. Has anyone ever run into this problem before? Thought it was detonating but it does it now WITHOUT the blower even running. Any input, cause we spent 15 hours and he spent 4500 on the products.

Junior SCH Member

Exclamation

Check all the PLUGS....Run the car for a while and check them. The EXACT same thing happened to me, it turned out I had a little hole in the #4 piston. Enough oil will get by it if you let it idle for a while that it will show on the plug. On mine, #4 wasn't making enough compression and it misfired, along with a sooty residue on the plug. I really hope this is not the case for your friend :( . If that is not the case, swap the old plugs back in, you may have bought a new plug that was faulty. Good luck.

Junior SCH Member
    try a set of new plugs, make sure contacts for the chip are clean from the residue they put on computer and make sure his conection to the throtle body is not leaking any air, I had a loose connection there and my car acting similar. I wish you the best.
    Greg
    Last edited by chevykiller; 04-07-2004 at 10:58 PM.

What kind of plus and what are they gapped at? What other mods on the car?
    Maybe it's a combination of problems.
    92 LX 5.0 Procharged 9lb boost 3 core intercooler
    My Stang Site

Hurst shorty shifter, H pipe Straight thru mufflers 3 inch stainless tips, 3:55 gears Autometer gauges Autometer Phantom Monster Tach/shiftlight, Lightning audio amp and 10" subs in custom sub box, Sony cd head unit, Cervini's cobra r hood and factory style wing, Ford Racing 17 x 8 crome bullitts, Kumo 245/45/17 tires, MSD 6al ignition system, MSD dist. cap, Crane fireball ps 91 coil, Ford Racing 9mm ignition wires, ATI Procharger 9lb boost w/ 3 core intercooler, Polished PA Proformance 3G 130 amp alternator, 255lph Holley fuel pump, Canton Racing aluminum overflow tank, Professional Products Typhoon polished intake, 70 mm throttle body and egr plate, Chrome t-stat housing, Chrome radiator hoses, Ford Racing polished aluminum valve covers, Billet distributor hold down, Misc. chrome parts for underhood accessories, Battery relocate, Optima red top battery, BBK cold air intake

Junior SCH Member
    I had a problem with similar symptoms on two occasions.

First time it was because a flake of paint came off the inside of a supercharger pipe, and it got caught on the wire on the mass air meter... made it run like trash, or not at all.

And the second time, one of the wires to the spout connecter broke, and my car was no longer increasing timing under throttle. Id throw a timing light on it and rev it up and make sure it increases.

Hope you find it, and its nothing serious.
    - Jon
    95GT: 347 stroker, AFR 185cc heads,Holley Systemax II intake, Anderson B-31 cam, Pro-M Universal MAF, 42lb injectors, 14psi P600B.