Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Got Boost? Try 15 psi of boost on the Novi 1000!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Boost? Try 15 psi of boost on the Novi 1000!

Got Boost? Try 15 psi of boost on the Novi 1000!

This is a write up on my experience with installing the ASP 8" (inch) crank pulley in hopes of getting 15psi of boost from the little Novi 1000 supercharger!

Where to begin...

Lets start here... I ordered an 8" crank pulley from Muscle Motors Performance, which in turn they ordered it from ASP and had ASP drop ship it to me. You ask why I went through Muscle Motors vs. ASP directly, was because of price and savings :D

In this hobby we must pinch our pennies!

Okay! It took approximately 6 weeks to have the pulley custom made, anodized and shipped to my door! This pulley is FREAKInG HuMonGous!!!! HUGE!!! I tell ya!

One thing I must stress to you if you are going to buy this pulley, is when you order it, you might be asked if you would like to have an "EXTRA LIP" (as an option) added to the pulley.

DON'T GET THE EXTRA LIP option! The reason why I say not to get it is because I did, and I had major fittment problems with the crank pulley and cobra water pump pulley! The inner lips of both pulleys touched and bind! You could not freely spin the cobra water pump pulley not even install it correctly let alone fit/route a belt through there

If you do get the "extra lip" option, DON'T WORRY :D! I have an easy remedy for the problem(s) that you will incur if you do get that option done to your crank pulley. No worries nevertheless, I just personally wouldn't go that route of getting an extra lip if I had to do it all over again.

--- MY FIX for the extra lip binding problem

After noticing that I could not spin (freely) the cobra water pump pulley once installed in conjunction with the ASP 8" crank pulley I called a friend at a local machine shop that had a nice sized metal lathe and told him of my problem. I therefore took BOTH pulleys to the shop and had the lips of the crank pulley shaved .020 thousandths or so as well as the cobra water pump pulley which he shaved about .010 thousandths or so off.

Please note that if you " DO NOT" get the extra lip option you should not have the problems of which I speak about (according to Muscle Motors Performance, and ASP). As mentioned my experience is with having the extra lip on the crank pulley and having to shave it down some along with the cobra water pump pulley's inner lip.

With all that in mind you should not run into any problem and there should be NO BINDING and both pulleys should not touch period! A quick way to check is to try to FREELY spin the cobra water pump pulley (once installed of course) and there should not be any binding what so ever!

Please also note that before I had the pulleys remachined for fittment, I did some experiementing with placing the ASP 8" crank pulley on the stock harmonic balancer (dampener) and also a Pioneer SFI Fluid Dampener and installing both on the vehicle unfortunetly the result was the same. Still had fittment issues prior to remachining the pulleys with either harmonic balancer.

The installation of the monster pulley (and the cursing from the mouth that came with it :) )

I'm just kidding about the cursing part! It was easy after all the machining and trial and error theories and crap!

I highly recommend that before you install your ASP 8" crank pulley that you consider getting a nice heavy-duty fluid dampener like a romac, pioneer or something that is strong. According to Jack from Muscle Motors Performance the stock harmonic balancer (dampener) will not be up to par with such a load that will be incurred with that pulley in particular.

After installing the 8" crank pulley we were now faced with task of finding a belt for it. I do not use the power steering or the smog pump (removed) But I do use the A/C and other accessories of course (hehehe). The belt that will work on an application like mine would be 104 1/4 inches.

Part #:

Kelly Spring Field: 1037K6 (I know... 103.7 inches... according to several NAPA dealers it is a 104 1/4 inch belt! We measured it!!!!)
    GATES: 103.7k6A
    GOODYEAR GATORBACK: 4061037

---

The fittment of the belt with the 8" crank pulley is claustrophobic!
    I mean its the same feeling you get when you look inside the engine compartment of an LS1!!! AYEEEEE!!!! LMFAO!:D

I don't know you if you will experience this problem with the crank pulley if you do not get the extra lip option. The problem I speak of is that I have to take my fan clutch off and loosen up the cobra water pump pulley just to route the belt through the water pump pulley and crank pulley!

Please note there is still a SMALL lip on my crank and cobra water pump pulley as I elected to have a small lip remain on them.

This may not be the case if you do not have the extra lip option.

All is installed and ready! Time to the turn key and start her up...

Well here comes the fun part, starting up the car. Man the supercharger sounds sweet! The entire car even sounds different!

Please see my sig for my modifications, thus that will justify why I made the below referenced tuning modifications! Your tuning may vary depending on your application

I have 30# injectors and YES I still run the FMU which is calibrated (sent it back to paxton to have them swap discs) for the 30# injectors!

When I had the F-150 crank I had my FP (fuel pressure) set at around 40 psi. Under full boost the FP would spike to 90 psi.

I added 4 pounds of fuel pressure which brings me to a setting of 44 psi of fuel pressure. My car loves it! It is running neither too rich nor lean, but a dyno will be sure to verify it! Aside from myself I have my main wrench which is no stranger to the mustang world.
    Ever gone 10's with 19lbs injectors and w/ 150 dry shot? He did!

We talked about theory and fuel cycles and naked chicks (oops wrong topic :) ) and tested the ideas of adding way more fuel and such. The car did not like too much fuel. But, we both agreed that 44 psi is a-okay and the car liked it!

I have an MSD 6-BTM with initial timing at 10 degrees and the dial on the btm knob set at "1". Say about 8 degrees now. I am running pretty safe.

The road test!

Okay the car is idling fine, the whistle from the Novi -1k is evident! It is ready to be test-driven! We drove around to have the belt break in and stretch! It did, we retighten the tensioner and were on our way to testing our new addition!

Please note I was on 15x3 1/2 in welds rims on the front and had 15x9 in. welds rims on the back with 15x10 Hoosier drag slicks.

I dropped it in first gear and cruising about twenty miles per hour, at about 1500 rpm, I waited till I was at about 3000 rpm on first gear and NAILED IT! I poo'd in my pants as to how fast this monster was! The boost was instant! 15 psi @ 6000 rpm (according to aftermarket tach and boost gauge) and still pulling! The car felt faster than what it did when I had bottle (80 hp shot) on top of the supercharger!!! I hit 120-140 mph +++ like nothing and it keep pulling hard with no flat spots whatsoever!

This mod was truly a sweet mod!

The driveability was excellent with no problems and has great street manners!

All in all I have to say the ASP 8" crank pulley is an excellent mod to add to your Novi 1000 ! This is by far the best mod for the supercharger I have gotten YET!

To all those that said the Novi-1k couldn't make that type of boost, you have just got proven wrong! I did it and now so can you!

Time to experiment this newly found boost with some chemical cooling injection! (n2o) I will post my result with 15 pounds of boost and 80 hp of juice later!

Hope this write up was informative! Ask any question if you wish!

:D
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

Stangs and other SVT products I've owned...

2001 F150 SVT Lightning (Silver)
    JDM Stage 1 & 2 kit and 3k+ worth of audiosex
    [ sold... ]

91 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

#001 8" Crank Pulley Club

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

"ALWAYS OUT NUMBERED, NEVER OUT GUNNED"

Mustang Videos! Watch'em, upload'em and we host them at:

Junior SCH Member

OH OH

I know what i'm going to get over the winter!!!

let us know how it goes with the nos as i will be doing the same.
    i guess were both addicted to power!
    87' GN- 3.8 SFI TURBO, A FEW MODS

90' GT- NOVI 1000 6 LBS, MILD 306 W/ NITROUS FOR THE LIITLE EXTRA KICK.
    353HP/442RWTQ
    383HP/475RWTQ W/60 SHOT
    11.30 @119MPH

So with the 8" crank pulley, you're seeing 15 psi of boost. And this is with heads, cam, and intake?? I wonder if the 8" crank pulley would be safe to run on a stock heads, cam, intake car (like mine)?
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer

Chris, as usual you are a mad man! LOL I may be placing my order over the winter. As usual Jack comes through for you.

Whistler, if Chris is getting 15, you will get 18+ as his motor is done!

MINN5.0: I really like your dyno numbers!

If you guys have any pics, do not forget to upload them to the PhotoPost.

And for all those reading with power steering you must match the pulleys 1-1, so if you have a 8" crank you need a 8" PS pulley.

Ian

Senior SCH Member
    wonder what the long term affects will be by getting 15 out of it. whats the max rpm the novi 1000 is rated for? bet spinning it fast enough to get 15 from it is above what it should be spun at. guess it doesn't really matter as long as it isn't your everyday car huh. i think the most i'm going to get out of mine is 12, going to put the pulley on the novi next.

Originally posted by 88cobra
    Whistler, if Chris is getting 15, you will get 18+ as his motor is done!

Ian
    Good lord, 18 psi!! I think 18 psi would be pushing the NOVI a little too much :(
    ~Dan

Originally posted by Whistler
    So with the 8" crank pulley, you're seeing 15 psi of boost. And this is with heads, cam, and intake?? I wonder if the 8" crank pulley would be safe to run on a stock heads, cam, intake car (like mine)?
    My heads are unported. On stock heads, cam and intake I would assume you should not have any problems. Are your e-7s ported? I have some e-7s and another 302 block I am going to play around with soon.

I wouldn't mind seeing what a stock ported heads and intake w/stock cam combo would be like with a Novi 1000 bolted up to it would do!
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

[ sold... ]

Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

Re: OH OH

Originally posted by MINN5.0
    I know what i'm going to get over the winter!!!

let us know how it goes with the nos as i will be doing the same.
    i guess were both addicted to power!
    J00 gotz it! I agree we are both power freaks, I must say!

I have the nitrous kit hooked up, just haven't had the time to test and tune it with an 80 shot.

I was considering a 100hp shot (one time deal :) ) just for the track!

2 passes, one on the supercharger, then one on the supercharger and bottle!

Then reducing the shot to an 80 hp shot afterwards for the street.
    Chris...

[ sold... ]

virgin heads

My heads are untouched. No porting or anything. Same with the intake. Hell, the only time I've had the intake off was to do the injectors.
    ~Dan

LOL 100 shot, you are crazy! How fast do you want to go? Low 10's?

Ian

Ian: I do! I would like to see even where a 125 shot would put me as well! One time thing though heheh.

Whistler: Sweet!!!! Virgins r00l! LoL!
    Chris...

[ sold... ]

LOL Chris you are a mad man!

Ian

:D
    Chris...

[ sold... ]

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar

pulley questions

Goliath:
    Which blower pulley are you running with the 8" crank pulley?
    Is the Cobra WP pulley bigger or smaller than an HO WP pulley?
    What if anything did you do with your Alt & PS pullies?
    thx

Originally posted by Goliath5.0

Whistler: Sweet!!!! Virgins r00l! LoL!
    Chris, you're quite a nutjob!! I guess that's what it takes to run 15 psi with a shot of juice. You're crazy man :D
    ~Dan