Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
SQ vs S trim power

Thread: SQ vs S trim power

Junior SCH Member

SQ vs S trim power

Does the sq put out as much power as the S trim. I have a 99 3.8 and im thinkin about going with the S cause i want people to know i got it but i am also thinkin about the SQ cause i dont want it to be horrible loud its my daily driver. How does the SQ stack up to the S power wise. remember im a v6er which would be better.....

Senior SCH Member
    the sq is a s-trim... you mean v-1 (loud) or v-2 aka sq (silent)

they make the same power

listen to the videos and see how loud it is, its not that loud...
    --
    93 GT

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by MoDo
    the sq is a s-trim... you mean v-1 (loud) or v-2 aka sq (silent)

they make the same power

listen to the videos and see how loud it is, its not that loud...
    No, the SQ (V2) has a different step up ratio. For the same given pulley size the SQ spins faster and makes more boost.

Go with the SQ

Robin Lawrence

Junior SCH Member
    How does it make more boost or power? I understand that it has a different ratio but they both have the same specs (1000 max flow cfm, 20psig max, etc.).

When I ask the techs at Vortech about the differences, they tell me that there is no difference. When I bring up the step up ratio, they just tell me that the difference ratio affects the harmonics (gear whine) instead of the power. Since the gears in the SQ are helical cut, the ratio just came out that way versus the gears being straight cut like the SQ. The SQ is 3.60 versus 3.45 in the S.

Henry
    95 Cobra R with S-Trim

Senior SCH Member
    both flow 1000 cfm and will make 20 lbs of boost...
    --
    93 GT

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by HPLouis
    How does it make more boost or power? I understand that it has a different ratio but they both have the same specs (1000 max flow cfm, 20psig max, etc.).

When I ask the techs at Vortech about the differences, they tell me that there is no difference. When I bring up the step up ratio, they just tell me that the difference ratio affects the harmonics (gear whine) instead of the power. Since the gears in the SQ are helical cut, the ratio just came out that way versus the gears being straight cut like the SQ. The SQ is 3.60 versus 3.45 in the S.

Henry
    Ask them again, the step up ratio spins the impeller faster. It doesn't take a lot of logic to figure out that if you spin it faster then it will make more boost. There is however a limit to how fast you can spin it before you are out of the efficiancy of the blower.
    Really you probably won't notice a major difference on a street car. I race in the NMRA Real Street Class. Our rules specify what kits and pulley sizes we can use. The S trim is allowed a 3.33" pulley and the SQ is allowed a 3.50" pulley. The reason?? Because of the step up ratio spinning the impeller faster.
    Also another thing to consider is the side loading of the bearings in a helical cut gear vs. the straight cut gear. Maybe a little more loss there in the SQ. Not enough to talk about but it what we look at.

Take a look at the March Issue of 5.0 Magazine page 131.

Robin

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by Robin
    Ask them again, the step up ratio spins the impeller faster. It doesn't take a lot of logic to figure out that if you spin it faster then it will make more boost. There is however a limit to how fast you can spin it before you are out of the efficiancy of the blower.
    Really you probably won't notice a major difference on a street car. I race in the NMRA Real Street Class. Our rules specify what kits and pulley sizes we can use. The S trim is allowed a 3.33" pulley and the SQ is allowed a 3.50" pulley. The reason?? Because of the step up ratio spinning the impeller faster.
    Also another thing to consider is the side loading of the bearings in a helical cut gear vs. the straight cut gear. Maybe a little more loss there in the SQ. Not enough to talk about but it what we look at.

Take a look at the March Issue of 5.0 Magazine page 131.

Robin
    Will this difference be noticeable at the track or on the dyno? I wonder if there ever was a comparison of a V1 and a V2? I'll look at the issue of 5.0 tonight and see what it says.

Thanks,
    Henry

Junior SCH Member
    I just cracked open the 5.0 magazine and see that you're the person that's running the shootout between the blowers. I also see your name in the Real Street pages. That's enough credibility for me.

The reason why I'm so interested in the differences between the S and SQ is because I have an A-Trim that I want to send in to get upgraded by Vortech. They're telling me that they can gut the A-Trim and put the S-Trim internals in there and make it a V-1 S. I pointed out the difference in step-up ratio of the SQ versus S and they're telling me that there is no difference and that the SQ step up ratio is for the noise only. It won't affect any power that the blower will put out. Since the price is so close, I'd rather get the more powerful setup. I guess I'll go with the SQ.

Thanks,
    henry
    95 Cobra R with S-Trim

Junior SCH Member
    It was interesting when we did that testing. I had a S trim but we were only concerned with testing what the other racers were running. After the new rules came out we were kicking ourselves for not testing the S Trim with the 3.33 Pulley. We could not predict what combination that the NMRA would adopt. Hell we had a T Trim that we tested before the Magazine arrived and really like that. Since it wasn't legal it was not included.

I have both the S Trim and the SQ Trim for my car. It will test them Back to Back with full Data Logging and see how close they are. But remember the S is legal with the 3.33 Pulley and the SQ with the 3.50 Pulley.

Really choose the one for sound, then put whatever pulley you want on it to spin where you want the boost.

Robin

Senior SCH Member
    It was interesting when we did that testing. I had a S trim but we were only concerned with testing what the other racers were running. After the new rules came out we were kicking ourselves for not testing the S Trim with the 3.33 Pulley. We could not predict what combination that the NMRA would adopt. Hell we had a T Trim that we tested before the Magazine arrived and really like that. Since it wasn't legal it was not included.

I have both the S Trim and the SQ Trim for my car. It will test them Back to Back with full Data Logging and see how close they are. But remember the S is legal with the 3.33 Pulley and the SQ with the 3.50 Pulley.

Really choose the one for sound, then put whatever pulley you want on it to spin where you want the boost.

Robin
    thats some great info, please post the results if you can
    --
    93 GT

Do they place a limitation on the size crank pulley you are allowed to run too? If they don't then the blower pulley is irrelavant really because you can just spin it faster by running a larger crank pulley. The larger crank pulley is an advantage anyway because you get boost quicker and have better belt coverage for less slipage.
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage

Senior SCH Member
    Yes they do Eric.......Vortechs are limited to a 6.87" crank pulley in Real Street.
    Spence

8.96/160

SCH Member

Robin
    what were the results of the t-trim? was it softer then the s-trim downstairs?
    93 notch-s-trim@11 p.s.i.,twisted wedge,GT-40,comp,306-pump gas only-10.93@129.7 on bfg drag radials--10.64@127.5 on ET drags
    548rwhp/502 rwtq

new 340" procharged combo in the works

Results

Robin,

Yes please post results of the S vs T comparison. We are getting ready to do one but waiting for car to get finished. Thanks.
    Mike
    Drag Racing...Where being the quickest is considered a good thing. :D

Junior SCH Member
    Sorry about that, been busy trying to get the new engine on the dyno. I will go back and look at the numbers when I have a moment.

If you can, get the T trim, boost wise it was much better. I will see how much.

Robin