Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Crankcase ventillation

Thread: Crankcase ventillation

Senior SCH Member

Crankcase ventillation

My rings are heading south (leakdown test results), and I'm trying to get as much life out of the power plant as I can. I've already removed the pcv valve, and have a routed a hose that will connect to a catch can. For the valve cover, I want a breather that I can attach a hose to and route to the same catch can. I picked one up at the local parts store (5/8" opening for the hose), but it had no threads. I found a grommet that fit, but as soon as the engine heats up, the breather/grommet pop off the fill tube. Does anybody know of a manufacturer (and part number) that makes a breather that will work (ideally it would screw in, but I'm open to other options)?
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)
    '88 GT Hatchback (Fun squared)

Senior SCH Member

Problem solved?

I think that I have the blow-by problem solved now. I posted a couple of pictures in the gallery that describe my solution. Here are the links:

http://www.superchargerhelp.com/phot....php?photo=928

http://www.superchargerhelp.com/phot....php?photo=929

This definitely isn't a smog legal solution, and I probably wouldn't try it with a healthy engine. But hopefully it will give my motor a little more breathing room.
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)

Senior SCH Member
    just install a header evac kit. i put one on mine and i have plenty of vaccum through it. in fact i had so much vaccum that i had to use zip ties to collapse the hose some. you can get the kits through summit and jegs for about $40. i had a local auto shop weld the fitting in the headers for $10. definately helps out.

Junior SCH Member
    Moroso sells them see p/n 68785 or follow the link below.
    http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=38103

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Hey Dave, have you tried running some RESTORE CSL oil additive in it to bring back some of the ring seal? If it needs a rebuild, what could it hurt to try... Do a compression test before and after. (CSL is a bonafide industrial EP lubricant, this product is in a different league than all the other snake oils)
    Chris

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fanglemeister
    Hey Dave, have you tried running some RESTORE CSL oil additive in it to bring back some of the ring seal? If it needs a rebuild, what could it hurt to try... Do a compression test before and after. (CSL is a bonafide industrial EP lubricant, this product is in a different league than all the other snake oils)
    The shop that did the leak down suggested this very thing. I just changed the oil very recently, and I will add what you recommended at the next oil change (not too far down the road). Can I buy Restore CSL at your average auto store? Thanks for the heads-up.
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)

it is sold in most auto stores, its in a gray can and 5 dollars a pop.