Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belt Tension help!!

I recently had a 3" renegade pulley and swithched to a RR 2.7. I needed to wake my blower up sooner. (YSi) With the same tensioning that was on the 3", I have no slippage at 6,000 RPM on the RR 2.7. Sweet pulley. I would have a little slippage with the 3" above 6,000 RPM.

Also I use the AFM belt tensioner. and use the vortech renegade strut support to keep the bracket from flexing and also less strain on the bearings.

How do you guys measure your torque on the belt. I would like to check mine and report back to you on my torque? And also no for myself.

Keep in mind this is on a YSI, not a T-trim, supposedly a lot of drag on these blowers.

Thanks.

Junior SCH Member
    nstycpe93. Thanks for the info! I hope the new tensioner works for you!
    95 S351 Saleen- Motor stroked to 408ci. Forged crank, H-beam rods, o-ringed block, ported Victor Jrs, JE inverted dome pistons & rings, Hogan's Custom intake and fuel rails, Comp custom blower cam, Accufab 80mmtb, Crane gold RR, Probe 5/8" billet girdle, ARP head & main studs, Danny bee roller thrust plate, ATI super dampner, Aviad road race pan, Vortech T-trim, Accel Gen7 DFI pro tuning module with dual sync distributor for sequential injector firing and wide band 02. Flow matched 75lb injectors. :D
    See it and the article in 5.0 magazine at www.bradscustomauto.com/mustangs/tomrice/tomrice.html

Junior SCH Member
    Blownby- Thanks for the info on the RR pulley!!. I just got mine today, haven't had a chance to try it yet. It look's awesome!! Worth the money just for the look's!! Have you noticed any wear on the pulley itself? It is aluminum without a coating....I was told that plain aluminum would wear. Reichard said it wasn't a problem....

The torque on the belt is done with a torque wrench with the 1/2" drive hole on the stock Vortech bracket. That's the thing about aftermarket brackets that I don't understand. How do you know how much tension you have? with the stock bracket you can try in 10lb increments and find out what work's without going tighter than you have to. I personally want to run the least amount of torque on the belt that I can!! Once I find it than I can repeat it everytime. Without knowing I guess you could go until it didn't slip, then if you take it off you could guess and keep loosening/ tightening until you get it right.
    Tom
    95 S351 Saleen- Motor stroked to 408ci. Forged crank, H-beam rods, o-ringed block, ported Victor Jrs, JE inverted dome pistons & rings, Hogan's Custom intake and fuel rails, Comp custom blower cam, Accufab 80mmtb, Crane gold RR, Probe 5/8" billet girdle, ARP head & main studs, Danny bee roller thrust plate, ATI super dampner, Aviad road race pan, Vortech T-trim, Accel Gen7 DFI pro tuning module with dual sync distributor for sequential injector firing and wide band 02. Flow matched 75lb injectors. :D
    See it and the article in 5.0 magazine at www.bradscustomauto.com/mustangs/tomrice/tomrice.html

351saleen,

As for wear on the pulley couldn't say? Only had it on for about 20 miles or so so far. I will be re-tunning the new pulley next saturday so i have taken it easy on the motor and blower. I saw an 4-5 psi increase in boost just at 5400RPM with the new and smaller pulley.

Thanks, for the torque measure measurment.

I will see if I can figure out a way to test the torque. I should be able to tighten it with the AF Tensioner, then use the torque wrench and start low and work up the torque reading until it moves the tensioner brefore clicking. This should give me a pretty good idea as to how much torque is on it.

Junior SCH Member
    BLOWNBY- That idea on finding out your torque setting sounds good! Let me know how much you are running!!
    Thanks, Tom

s351saleen

Well it apears that I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 ftlbs of torque on the belt.
    I am using the Napa/Gates belt from Napa. RR seems to think this belt has deeper groves than some of the other belts, thus more grip.

Next Saturday I will get the car retuned with this new pulley and hopefully it will put the rwhp over 700.

Junior SCH Member
    BLOWNBY
    Thanks for the torque spec! I just put mine at 65ft lbs but I havent tried it yet. Reichard told me the same about NAPA/ Gates belts. I compared my NAPA to a Goodyear and he is right! The Goodyear grooves are not very deep. Also the Reichard grooves are a little deeper than the Vortech. I wish the Reichard "shoulder" on the sides of the belt were as tall as the Vortech to keep the belt in place, but I guess he hasn't had a problem.
    My dyno tuning is rescheduled for next Thursday at a Mustang dyno. I will try to get my wide band 02 problem fixed, then I will have to go to a Dynojet to see what it's making since I can't hook up on the Mustang dyno.
    Let me know how the tuning went!!!
    Tom.