Thread: Newbie Setup help

Junior SCH Member

Newbie Setup help

Hello SCHelp people. I just purchased a '87 Mustang LX notchback. It's a neat little car but a tad rough around the edges. I'm looking for some guidance in putting together a fairly bulletproof engine setup to be used in a car that will be driven daily but where performace is still paramount. THe car came with a 306 with forged internals with 9.7:1 compression. Running a B Cam, ported E7 heads, stock intake, stock MAF, Vortech S-Trim, Vortech FMU, stock 17# injectors, Walbro intank pump plus the t-rex inline. I realize right now the SC is really underutilized. I already have plans to ditch the FMU and move to 42# injectors also looking at AFR 185 heads. I have questions as to what cams, intakes, MAF sizes etc would work best for me in this application. I've always been a chevy guy so I'm new to the Ford world. Just need some nudges in the right direction to make the car stable and most of all fun. I'm not rich but I do want quality parts, if it takes me a little longer to save for something that will outperform and last longer I'll take that over instant gratification. The goal is to rebuild this car into something I keep around for years and years to come. I look forward to your responses thanks!

Congrats on your new purchase.

Ok, sounds like you have a nice setup to start with. Here is what I would run.

The AFR 185 heads are great pieces so stick with them if you can afford them.

The cam - well there are many different opinions on this subject. Personnally I like the TFS stage 2 cam. With this cam you will need to notch the pistons.

The intake - This is a subject that comes down to personal preference. My first choice would be the Holley Systemax intake. Next would be the TFS Track Heat.

The MAF would be a Pro-M 80mm calibrated for you choice of injectors.

Also, don't forget to get a new throttle body. A 70mm would be a good choice.

Junior SCH Member
    Alrighty I shall look into some of those parts. The other question I have is how much boost can I both safely and streetably get out of my S-Trim? I don't want to have to run race gas and I don't want to sacrifice decent driving behavior around town. Is 15-16lbs a reasonable amount to squeeze out of a S and still mainting these things? Is there a chart showing approx boost levels acheived with what size pulley? As I have no idea what pulleys to look at.

You will probably want to start with the 7 inch crank pulley and either the 3.33 blower pulley (comes with the blower) or the 3.15 blower pulley. I would keep boost around 12-14 lbs since you are running 9.7:1 compression. If you had lower compression say 8.7-9.0:1 you could run 15-17 psi without a problem. Maybe someone else will put there input on this. I'll be running 8.7:1 low comp pistons