Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2.5 lbs of boost with Renegade kit

Junior SCH Member
    Yes, its maxed. I figure that I just can't tighten the belt enough so I ordered a 3" pully and a 58" belt. Hopefully this combo will allow to properly tighten the belt.

Be careful, don't mess up the tensioning screw. They are easy to tweak. Sounds like a good plan.

Junior SCH Member
    It appears that my belt was slipping. When I removed the belt, I found very little black balls on the pullies. Not much, but there were a few. I also found a little black dust. I installed a 57.5" belt, but it was so short that I had to force it on and can't install the belt tenion pulley. At any rate it is so tight that when I tap it, it sounds like I'm plucking a guitar string.

I test drove it and was able to get around 4 lbs of boost. I figure that it would probably be more if I spun the engine higher than 4500 rpm. Now I just need to get my 3.0" pulley and hopefully I will see around 12 lbs of boost.

With no slip, and the 8" crank / 3" pulley setup you should have boost on top of boost! What is your elevation?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    The actual elevation is around 2700 ft. But the density alt around this time is usually above 5000 ft.

Based on what I have seen so far, I figured that I would have around 7 lbs with the current pulley set up (3.75"). Then the 3 " pulley should add up to 6 lbs. for a total of 13 lbs.

I get the feeling that I must be wrong....What pressure do you think I would have?

Well i don't want to tell you a wrong number but honestly i don't think 16psi @ 6000 should be an issue. Even with a 408. The renegade racers make 30psi with this setup( i wish one would chime in on this) so beware when you take it for a spin!!!
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    just for some info. i had the 8"crank and 3.75 on my setup and seen 12lbs of boost at 6000rpm,hope this helps,Dave

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks Fordman, thats what I needed to know. So the pulley combo made 12 lbs. on your car. What size engine did you have?

I was watching a video of a guy testing his boost level. I noticed that he could make his boost immediately jump to more than 5 lbs. Then it would quickly move to around 15 lbs. Is that what it should do?

Junior SCH Member
    all i had was a stock 302 with an intake and headers,the boost would climb fast when i hit full throttle.and i was using the same bov as you to.need anymore help let me know,thanks,Dave