Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.5 lbs of boost with Renegade kit

Junior SCH Member

2.5 lbs of boost with Renegade kit

Does anyone have any ideas why I could only pull 2.5 lbs of boost out of my Renegade kit? I have the stock engine pulley of 8" and the stock blower pulley of 3.75". I also have a Mondo BOV.

I have a
    408W
    blow through carb
    n/a my engine made 427 rwhp, with supercharger makes 412 rwhp. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Adjustment on bov wrong,Vacume to blow off valve is it connected to the right place?
    306,afr 185's,holley system max,custom solid comp. cam,50#injectors,pro-m 83mm,75mm tb,msd btm,svo rpm exstender,renegade novi 2k=16.5 psi,dynamic mm c4-trans brake 4600 stall,b&m hammer shifter,moroso elect. water pump,aeromotive competition fuel system,8 point cage
    went 7.58@92 1/8 1.64 60ft with an SN 89 @8psi and 30# injectors,t-5 1/4 12.19@115 with s/n 89
    1/4 11.07@126 with novi 2k
    1/4 10.75@145 with 54*air temp

Junior SCH Member
    I have the BOV installed as it came from the factory. I have the vacuum line hooked up to a manifold port. The one thing I did notice is that the BOV did not close once it opened. I removed the BOV and noticed that the gasket was not seated correctly. Now the BOV seems to be opening and closing correctly but I still have not had a chance to see how much boost it is now making. I plan to hit the dyno soon.

I was reading the Paxton web site and it stated that the Renegade kit uses a 8" crank pulley and a 3.25" blower pulley. My kit came with 8" and 3.75". Has anyone else seen this problem?
    Last edited by restomod; 05-26-2004 at 10:11 PM.

That is probably what was happening, if your bypass valve was getting stuck open, then obviously a portion of the airflow was being directed out of it and not into the engine.

Btw what year car is this in?
    Last edited by Hustler; 05-26-2004 at 10:26 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    I have a 65 fastback.

The thing that bothers me is the valve was only sleightly open. So I figure that I will only have around 5 or 6 psi. I was expecting around 12 psi. I think I got the wrong blower pulley in my kit.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Even if you do have a 3.75" instead of a 3.25" you should still build 10psi. On a carb application you really need to make sure the carb gasket is not blowing out allowing the pressure to be released.

Sweet, got any pictures. I have a 65 fastback also, was thinking of putting a driver side vortech or paxton, wondering what modifications you had to make to get it to fit. Did you go with an EV hat?

Junior SCH Member
    There wasn't much modifications needed. For me the only major problem was the air filter. I have a 351W set up and it caused the supercharger to be within 2" of the shock tower. I had to modify an Edelbrock 1000 series air filter to fit. Unfortunately I had bought the carb enclosure before I heard about the ev bonnet. I'm trying to sell the enclosure so I can buy a ev.

Here are a few pictures of the supercharger setup in the car. The last picture is of the car itself.

http://restomod.us/supercharger_4-9-04_2.JPG
    http://restomod.us/supercharger_4-9-04.JPG
    http://restomod.us/Supercharger_4-4-04_1a.jpg
    http://restomod.us/LACR2-29-04_1.JPG

Thats awesome, what hood did you use to clear everything. I used to live in Santa Clarita, frequented LACR a lot. Moved to North Idaho last November. Where are you located? My brother still lives down there with the 65 fastback.

Junior SCH Member
    I used a 4.75" universal cowl scoop and attached it to a fiberglass hood. I live in West Hills (San Fernando Valley). Its the extreme west end of the Valley.

Do you own both the 89 and the 65 Mustang? Those are really nice cars. How much power does you supercharged engine put out? How much boost are you running?

I own the 89, the 65 my brother and I have equal stakes in. Kind of a toy to cruise around in and an investment. Bought it in 98 for 7500. My 89 I'm taking to have it dynoed early next week. I'll post up what happens with video hopefully.

Junior SCH Member
    I ran the car on the dyno again today. It still had only 2 lbs of boost even though I fixed the BOV. I even by passed the BOV and it didn't help. The only thing left is the air cleaner. Can it be that restrictvie? The Edelbrock 1000 series air cleaner is just a thin piece of foam.

I'm thinking of buying a 2.75" pulley. Does anyone know where to get one for a Novi 2000?

Try running it without the air filter attached around the block or something. You should be seeing more than 2lbs of boost, you double check all your vac lines and blower plumbing? I would price check the 2.75 pulley with paxton and also www.aspracing.com if you are set on getting one. There seems to be some other underlying problem though. Can you tell that the intake and the carb are sealing?
    Last edited by Hustler; 06-03-2004 at 12:18 AM.

Junior SCH Member
    I checked for leaks again after the dyno session. I took the car for a small test drive without the air cleaner. The boost seemed to kick in quicker but stopped at 2 lbs.

I found no signs of belt dust, but I was told that the belt could be slipping and I may not find the belt dust. I'm starting to think the belt is slipping. The only problem is I can't find the belt size I need. I'm using a 60.5" belt and I needed a 59" belt.

Call up Paxton and verify you got the correct parts in the kit. Is the tensioner as far down as it will go or something?