Thread: Want a charger what vortech should I go with

Junior SCH Member

Want a charger what vortech should I go with

I dropped a new motor in my 93 cobra FRPP block and internals I have a e303 cam and TFS twistede wedge heads, I have underdrive pully's and stock upper and lower intake aswell as stock throttle and MAF......I want a Vortech i know that for sure......But with the set up I have E303 cam and TFS heads i dunno what charger S-trim T trim or other to go with does anyone have any suggestions? I have FMS shorty headers tko tranny and aluminum drive shaft as well as 3.73's Basically what setup would run best on this motor combination???????????

What kind of power are you looking for now and down the road?

I had an s-trim with a conservative tune and was making 510 rwhp at 13psi on a 351. I sold it to my buddy with a 302 and holley heads and intake. Again with a fairly conservative tune it made 532 at the rear. I was running 11.20's with a stick and I cant shift for anything. Also the car is in full cobra kit and interior. The s-trim with and aod should have put me mid 10's.

If you want more the t-trim is the way to go. Plus it leaves more room to grow latter. Believe me it thought 510 at the rear was plenty, now I'll be pushing 700 on a ysi on a 351 and primarily drive it on the street. This is an addicting HOBBY.

T-Trim, plus i think the cost damn near the same. Hope this helps.

Junior SCH Member
    thanks pal
    1993 Cobra #1985 Red w/ grey leather, 46,000 original miles on the body. original paint .
    New motor less than 5k

www.cardomain.com/id/mattveri

Junior SCH Member
    What kind of an FRPP block are you running? Personally i'm running a .060 over dart block with a 3.4" crank and an intercooled YSi-Trim, and I love it on the street. The centrifugal + low compression combo makes it easy to drive at low speeds (not a whole lot of torque) but it pulls like a raped ape on the top end.
    1993 Mustang Saleen Clone
    Dart Block 352", 225CC TFS-R Heads, TFS Box Intake, YSi-Trim, Griffin Air-to-Air Intercooler, Cammotion Solid Roller, AEM EMS, Kooks Headers, Tremec TKO

I've heard of 40hp with the T-trim over the S-trim with the same pulleys. I'll certainly step up to the ysi before I know it. A T-trim, YS or a Novi 2000 are hard to beat when going for big power on the street. But the S would probably put you where you want to be.....
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

It is a sportsman shortbloock, lunati cam, TF track heat heads, Gt-40 lower, downs upper and a Vortech YSI with no inter or aftercooling. I run an weldon 2015 and regulator with vortech rails and 60# injectors. I also have an electric fan and water pump.

I usually run 110 octane. Ocasionally I will run 93 + octane boost, but for the little extra cost, and better the motor idles on the 110, ( $4/ gal) it is worth it.

I will be running a 8" and 2.7" pulley and retune this Sat. in hopes for 700+ rwhp.

I was making 16psi at 6400 RPM on the dyno with the 3" pulley, yet I saw ~18psi At 5400 RPM on the street with the 2.7 pulley. Can't wait to see what happens this Sat.

renegade352,

Also what kind of power are you currently making, what tranny, gear and times are you running.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLOWNBY
    renegade352,

Also what kind of power are you currently making, what tranny, gear and times are you running.
    Havn't had it on the dyno or at the strip as it has no cage, I have no slicks for it, and I don't even have a DS safety loop. I am running an X2C TKO and 3.55 rear gears.
    Dart Block 352", 225CC TFS-R Heads, TFS Box Intake, YSi-Trim, Griffin Air-to-Air Intercooler, Cammotion Solid Roller, AEM EMS, Kooks Headers, Tremec TKO

Quote Originally Posted by renegade352
    Havn't had it on the dyno or at the strip as it has no cage, I have no slicks for it, and I don't even have a DS safety loop. I am running an X2C TKO and 3.55 rear gears.
    How do you like the x2c Tranny?

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLOWNBY
    How do you like the x2c Tranny?
    I love it. Feels almost the same as a stock TKO.