Thread: trying to be the owner of an R trim

Junior SCH Member

trying to be the owner of an R trim

im in the midst or buying an R trim for my 89, it was supposed to be sent off yesterday but another problem arised. first the seal was goin out, no biggie, 2nd the lock for the pulley shaft was missing, again no biggie. then finally i get sent a picture of the impeller and its got 2 nicks and what not, so now the deal is no longer worth it unless he goes down to what i offered him. now if i do get the blower in this condition its coming apart and im rebuilding it cause i dont want to send it to vortech hopefully. i know how to do the seal and i have a place were i can do a set of seal bearings instead of the crap vortech uses. i can get a lock for the input shaft....

what i dont know is what to do about the impeller. can i order a new impeller? how much if i can? and can i put in a bigger impeller, possibly a t trim impeller? if all this works out i will buy the blower.

a couple of nicks WILL NOT affect the ferformance...as long as the volute isnt damaged......as far as the bearings,are you saying that the vortech units are junk?the older like first out r-trims had the old s-trim stuff in them ,but they promtly changed to a more heavy duty setup...whts the serial number??
    dale@swillracing

Junior SCH Member
    yea, the nicks really arent that bad, but id like a new impeller just to make sure. the volute is fine. im not saying the vortech bearings are junk, i just dont like them as much, there is a local bearing shop in dallas that sells the seal and new bearings and they also have sealed bearing replacement..

im waiting on the guy to get back to me and i will see which one it is, i talked to vortech this morning and im lookin for it to be an HD unit. if it is, they can do an upgrade on the unit with a new volute and impeller from a T trim. if its not an HD unit im not gonna guy it.

Senior SCH Member
    sorry this reply is so late. the first thing i'd do is get the serial number from the seller and find out from vortech if it's a HD unit or not. then make your decision on buying it or not.

Junior SCH Member
    I have a brand new R trim in the box if you are interested.

Thanks
    Kevin
    kmerical@hotmail.com
    515-480-9704