Thread: Just another bypass question

Just another bypass question

Ok you all have had such good advise in the past so I thought I’d throw another question out there. My question is how do various bypass valves are rated in terms of service duty? I know that vacuum opens the valve but do heavy-duty valves require more vacuum than a regular duty one. Or is it just simply the amount of CFM’s they are capable of returning? Or is it just that a heavy-duty valve has a higher quality diaphragm? The reason I ask is because when I get a bypass valve how should I go about getting the right one for my application? For a 7psi set up on a mild few bolt-on 5.0, should I get a heavy duty valve because they are higher quality and would last longer? Or would a heavy-duty valve not be a good idea for a low boost application because it was designed for higher boost levels? I know that a person would not want a valve that was only meant for 10psi on a 15+psi blower but what about vise a versa.
    91 LX HB 5 speed, 3.08's,BBK shorty headers, 2.5"catted H-Pipe, 2.5" Super Turbo's, Paxton Novi 1000 single belt F-150 crank pulley 2.75 blower pulley, bosch bypass, 255 Walbro, Areomotive FPR, 73MM C&L MAM otherwise stock.

You are correct, it is simply the amount of pressure the bypass can handle before it starts to give up and leak.

IMHO you can use a 15lb rated on a 7psi application, but not the other way around as the bypass will give out on you.

Ian