Thread: MORE BOOST!!!!!

Senior SCH Member

MORE BOOST!!!!!

How can i make some more boost i want like 2-3 psi more. I currently have a 2.75 inch blower pulley and an f-150 crank pulley on my single belt. Also i have a power pipe. Is the 8" crank pulley larger than the f-150? Would a cam change make more boost if you went from a very large cam to a smaller cam? I am currently getting 7-8 psi at 6k and would like a solid 10psi. I used to make 13 psi but now with my victor jr heads and ported holley intake it fell to 7-8. Thanks for the help if the famed 8" crank pulley is smaller than the f-150 i will purchase one, which water pump pulley is used to clear it?

Senior SCH Member
    Remember, all the boost gauge shows is how restrictive your engine (intake, heads, cam) are. Boost means nothing. Your blower is capable of flowing a given amount of air at a particular RPM. If your engine is restrictive you will read more boost then if your have a free flowing engine.

To give you an idea I did a cam change on my car and dropped 8 lbs of boost and made 100 more horsepower (rear wheel). Which would you rather have?

Senior SCH Member
    I feel that my motor is about as unrestrictive as it can be for a Novi 1k with the victor jr. heads and the port work done to the intake. The cam i have in the motor right now though was ground for a 331 and is to large for my combo. The specs are .545 intake .595 exhaust and duration at .050 is 229 and 252 off the top off my head these numbers might not be exact but real close. So i am putting in an f-303 cam and would like to raise the boost level.

Senior SCH Member
    Installing a smaller cam will raise boost.

If you can dyno the car before and after the cam swap. I would be interested in the power change.

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks for the reply no one could seem to tell mr if the cam swap would raise my boost level or not. I am deffinately gonna change the cam and if i do not get the added boost i am going to get the 8 inch crank pulley. I am not going to have the car dynoed because the valve springs on the victor jr heads are hitting their harmonic state at about 4800 and the car has no power till they stop at like 5600 rpm. That is why i am doing the cam swap.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Less intake/exhaust overlap will increase your cylinder pressure. At 252/.050 you have too much exhaust duration for a 6k rpm motor, it is bleeding off valuable cylinder pressure that could be making power.

As far as making "more boost", all you have to do is spin it up faster - either more engine rpm with current pulleys or pulley ratio increased for same rpm.
    Chris

If you don't already have the F cam put the TFS #2 in there since your obviously not scared of a healthy cam. The TFS should handily walk the 'f' and drivability should be better. and it's cheap. LOL
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    I do not have the f-cam yet. The TFS is cheaper i just dont want to make the same mistake and buy a cam that is too large again. The TFS cam is quite large, maybe too big?

well it has less duration than the F on the intake side. This will run very well with your Jr. heads and Holley2 intake. (i've owned a holley 2 intake and i now own a set of JR heads. With the 112* lobe sep. it "should" idle better than the F cam. the TFS is Much better suited for a blower since it's an EX anderson ford mosport grind. ;)

The F is a great cam and i'm sure it would suit you well. Do what you think is right but i'd get some opinions first.

My vote is the TFS#2 or even the #1. Or call ed and get the "perfect" cam.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Don't be scared of the lift on the #2 cam. It is a great all around cam period. To address your original question on boost levels, do you have a fresh belt on the car? gatorback?

I had a #2 on my F-150 and I loved the hell out of it. Not sure how good a blower cam it is though. You really need to look around for something in the 144 lobe sep range.
    92 Stang LX 5-spd
    Novi1K(old), Cobra Intake, 70mm TB, 90mm MAF, 1.7rr, E-303, GT-40 heads, 30#, 190 lph, Crane Hi-6, FRPP ceramic headers, Summit H-pipe, Edelbrock RPM cat back, 3.73, MAC springs 2" drop, Megabite Jr's, F-150 crank pulley, 2.75" blower pulley, Morpheus pipe, Fidanza AFW, McLeod kevlar clutch, lots of shiny pointless stuff.
    (BlueRevenge on Stangnet forums)
    12.2 @ 114 mph (everyday street tires a few mods ago)