Thread: new kid on the block with a question?

Question new kid on the block with a question?

have been reading on here for quite sometime and this site is awesome,however my question falls around the injectors. im ready for sq s-trim ,have seen everybody running 42's no fmu,like the idea of no fmu,although have brand new 50's in my garage,can i use these,really didn't want to buy again! any help is always appreciated. and buy the way all you guy's rock!! 306 8.7-1 h/c/i,wanting to make 450 or more to the rear. also how much boost? will have 255 intank,t-rex..thank you?
    Last edited by blueoval92; 06-20-2004 at 09:18 PM. Reason: new and my combo did not show

Keep the 50's they will give you more room to grow than 42's anyway. If you can anti up for something a lil bigger than an sq s-trim unless you are set on it.

thank you for such a quick reply hustler,man that's a good magazine! well i was wanting to get the sq s-trim for the price,i can get a real good deal on one,and upgrade to a t or ysi down the road,when funds are a litttle better. do you see any unforeseeable problems that i might have in doing it this way. a friend of mine is a tuner that owns a dyno,so it's no problem to redyno the car.also i'm goin to get a 80mm shorty for the 50's is this the right direction,am i going to have idle problems? or should i just get a chip burned. thank you in advance chris

I'd have to agree with hustler. Especially since you pan on going faster. Idle problems with the Shorty and 50's is hit or miss. It's usually up to the meter. Since your thinking about having a chip done, get a custom chip on the spot so it will be done right the first time.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

thanks for the advice brent, how much boost to get to my goal of 450 or more,check my sig,what do you think 10 to 12 with power pipe?
    Jorge

fwiw...i've seen 480-500 rwhp with what you have listed and I for one(no sheets) but have done it myself on 10psi. You should have no problem meeting your goal and exceeding it. Make sure the tune is spot on and hold on tight. :D
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

cool glad to see i'm on the right track,would you happen to know what size blower pulley for 10 psi,with a stock crank sq,is it 3.12 or 3.00 or 2.95.thanks in advance,and for all your help. p.s can't wait to hang on tight!! yeee haaaa!!!---J.
    Jorge

Start with the stock pullies and go from there. I bet you'll be suprised at the boost. Again a powerpipe is a must.

Yep I ran 42's, I've heard about the idle problems others have had, but mine ran great. Even cold starts were fine. I ran a 77mm steel Pro-m MAF, never had any problems. As far as upgrading later on, no problems at all. Should work out great. Either way, whether or not you have idling problems, have your tuner buddy set the car up with a chip. Something I wish I would have gotten done with my old setup.

thanks hustler and regattacoupe, sounds like you guys have been there and done that,and you just can't beat experienced information. brent i will try the stock pulley and powerpipe,from what i have read at vortech, if you don't mess with it,you'll retain there 3year warranty. thats like saying i can't have BEER for three years!!!! catch you guys later!!!------j.
    Jorge

Stick with the 50's. I run 42's right now, and I know I will have to upgrade to at least the 50's down the road. I don't see a problem running 12 psi with stock pullies and a power pipe. The worst case is you'll have to go to a 3.15 blower pulley.

thanks frdfandc,before i posted my original thread, i went to a couple different injector calculators and was surprised at what was calculated. using a .6 bsfc for 500 flywheel hp, it came up with if i remember correctly something like 46.875lb/hr at 80% duty cycle w/stock fuel pressure. so i wanted to get all the input from the real world just to make sure. thanks to everyone!! how much power you making now? darin---j.
    Jorge

Well, I ran into some issues on the dyno with my first motor. Having a "small" 302 engine being built as we speak. But as soon as I get it running, dyno sheet will be posted.