Thread: Paging Supercharger's Best!!!!

Junior SCH Member

Paging Supercharger's Best!!!!

Ok guys, I have a problem. I just need someone who knows what they're doing to listen to this video and tell me what is causing this noise from my blower. It's a vortech sq, btw. Its emitting a strange noise almost like a baseball card in a bicycle spoke, LOL.

videos.kentuckymustangs.com/VortechIdle.wmv

Please guys, I do know its coming from the blower area, either the idler pulley on the bracket or the blower itself. Strange thing is it has stopped it before, but then got louder again. I'm not sure if the blower is gonna need to be sent to vortech and repaired or what. (note, by stopped it i mean for like a minute then start back......I bought this blower used and its just now put on my car)

ANY info is helpful.........thanks!!!

Did you try to remove the idler and see if it has any rough spots in it?

Ian

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    Did you try to remove the idler and see if it has any rough spots in it?

Ian
    Which idler? The one one with the rips on the front engine cover (that vortech supplied) or the vortech one that's attached to the blower bracket?

I haven't taken either of them off yet, but when I Took the belt off the both spun freely.

did you spin the blower to see if there's any noise,maybe a bearing!
    Jorge

Junior SCH Member
    Not any noise I could hear off hand...what exactly kind of noise would the bearing make at a lower speed level? Or anyone know any way to spin it quickly if its off the engine?

it could be like a clicking sound, impeller is not loose or touching anything?
    Jorge

Check all idlers and spin the blower by hand. You should be able to feel if something is wrong.

Ian

Junior SCH Member
    How hard should the blower be to spin by hand, and should it be pretty much silent?

ian is on the right track, you are gonna feel a litttle resistance,but it should spin fairly easy,and you will hear the gears meshing,but like ian said if theres something wrong you should feel or hear it.---j.
    Jorge

Junior SCH Member
    Well, I took her off and spun her, its somewhat easy to spin, but its making a roaring noise, more than I would think would be normal.........the idler pullies are all fine, they all spin silently and all........also if you reverse rotation from CW to CCW or vice versa, it like ticks and there's a little play.

As I said, I bought this blower used so I have no idea how many miles are on it, nor how hard it was driven......i'm guessing I should send it to vortech to get it inspected and repaired.........

Wow that sucks. I'd raise cain with whoever i bought it from first. Vortech service is not cheap!
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Take off the inlet and have a look @ the impeller - any dings? Marks? Spin the blower by hand and watch it - any wobble??

If you have checked all pulleys then I would say the blower has to go back. I would do it soon so it does not lock up and you are stuck.

Ian

Junior SCH Member
    Ok, I just did that, and it looks clean to me. A couple scratches, but not big ones. and it looks straight as an arrorw....no wobble at all. :-(

-Eric