Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Honest NOVI 2k HP gain/estimate for my car?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honest NOVI 2k HP gain/estimate for my car?

Junior SCH Member

Honest NOVI 2k HP gain/estimate for my car?

I'm looking at getting a NOVI 2k (possibly just the 1k). I've never had a car with a blower. I do have a rebuilt SN-93 sitting here, but I think I would rather install what I think I want ;)

My dyno numbers are 300hp/337ft.lbs at the wheels...not bad for a '92LX w/ 110K mile shortblock.

I just need some actual hp gains (reliability issues?) from people who run them.

My mods are as follows:

GT-40 Intake (ported)
    Trick Flow heads (will be ported eventually)
    "E" cam
    1.6 Rockers
    70mm TB
    24lb Injectors & MAF (42lb Injectors & MAF eventually..will run the FMU 'til then)

The typical stuff: Pulleys, Electric Fan, AFM Power Pipe, FMS Headers, MAC 2-Cat H-pipe & Catback, etc..

I would greatly appreciate any information from anyone. Thanks and have a good one!

If the 2k is within your "budget" get that, if you want a great bang for the buck entry level blower then the 1k will get you impressive results. We have a few guys here running over 500 to the wheels with a Novi 1000 and "bolt-ons"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Junior SCH Member
    So, do you think I should go with the 1k and bigger injectors/MAF, instead of just doing the 2k by itself? What will yield the most horsepower? Thanks.

A Novi 2K with it's 10 psi should put you in 430+ rwhp range pretty easily...but i wouldn't even try it with 24's and an FMU...just not enough fuel. 30's an FMU would do it but why bother if you have to buy injectors...may as well go big and no FMU at that point. The Novi 2K will yield the most power out of the box compared to the 1k simply due to boost levels...the 1K would need to be pullied to make 10 lbs which it can handle quite easily. The key is to plan ahead here and think very carefully about what you may want to do in the future. The 1K is a superb blower for the money but it's room to grow is limited compared to the 2K. Lots of guys have bought 1K's thinking it's more than they will ever want only to change their tune later on and then have to upgrade when they want to go beyond the 1K's capability. True enough that the 1K can be spun to 15 psi which is a lot of boost....but it's efficiency is gone at that point and it's blowing a lot of hot air as it's working hard to do 15 psi whereas a Novi 2K is just starting to breathe at half capacity at that point.

Junior SCH Member
    As we all know, the biggest problem is budget size. I was thinking of selling the SN-93 (b/c it was given to me) with my old injectors,MAF, etc. I don't even know what a fair price would be for the SN-93...$500ish range?

Will an SN-93 yield me the same power as a NOVI 1k? If that's the case, I will save myself $1700 and just install SN-93.

I really do appreciate all the insight.

Straight out of the box a Novi 1K will make similiar power to an SN-93 as both put out around 6 psi...but forget trying to pulley an SN-93 for more power as it just isn't a durable blower if you try to spin it harder. Put it on Ebay and see what you can get for it and give your self a reserve to make sure you get the minimum you would like. You should be able to get more than $500 for it pretty easily if it's in good shape.

If you can afford the bigger blower get it! I wish i would've bought the 2000 right off the bat.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    I figure that I could go with the Novi-1k for the time being, then purchase the 2k head unit later on when I replace the motor. In theory, I could buy the bigger injectors, MAF, etc. (around $750) and the 1k ($1700) for less than the 2k ($2800) by itself...then sell the SN-93 (for $500ish). If the 1k could give me 100 rwhp @ 6psi, I would do that for the time being.

I just don't know if my 110k mile shortblock would be able to take more than 6psi for very long.

Any comments/ideas?

I did the same as you did last year. I ordered a 1000, 42's, and some fuel stuff. Ran awesome with my 120k stock shortblock @ 10 psi before it was all said and done. Now I'm building a much wilder combo and the 1000 would've never been enough for the new engine. If you plan on staying with you combo and don't wanna run 10.50's or so then the 1000 will serve you fine in my opinion. If you have any ideas of going big, Trust me! It is cheaper to get the 2000 now than later. The 1000 is a great blower and since you sound like you're not gonna go crazy with the boost then it's the best bang for the buck in the blower market.

Hope i didn't confuse you LOL
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Junior SCH Member
    So, what were you getting for power with the 1k? I'm assuming you had the typical bolts on, too. Honestly, this car is a daily driver. I've only taken it to the track probably 6 times since I bought in '98. The last time I went, I could only squeeze a 13.1@108 out of it....NO TRACTION!

I would say my goal (for the time being) is 500rwhp, which I'm not too sure is obtainable with my combo and a 1k.

it is very attainable. Sounds like your N/A combo runs very well and thats 1/2 the battle. My car made 434rwhp and trapped from 115-117 mph. I changed to a shorter tire and the 8" crank pulley and trapped from 122-124mph. Never had it dyno'd but i know it was close to your goal.

Junior SCH Member
    Well, I just ordered the 80mm Pro M....so, the madness has begun, although I'm still not sure which blower to go with. AFM had it for $199...not too shabby.

I just read that you want to run 500rwhp. Knowing that Im gonna have to say go with the NOVI 2000. If you only want 400-450rwhp then Id say NOVI 1000. So upgrade to the 2000. :)
    93 Cobra - NOVI 1000 new style, Walbro GSS340, 130AMP alt, Griffin radiator, Mercury Sable fan + Delta Controller, Bassani offroad X, Magnaflow with 3" tailpipes, Tokico Illuminas, FRPP driveshaft, 3.55s, Nitto 555s (extremes up front and drags out back), Ultralite boost and EFP gauges

91 bigass Bronco 4X4, to crush ricers with

Junior SCH Member
    I was thinking that I would have to do the motor over along with the NOVI-2000. I don't see myself getting the 500rwhp with just the NOVI-2k, but I guess I could be wrong.

SCH Member
    still want to sell the paxton? If so e-mail me at fjf1112@aol.com