Thread: The noise!!!!

Junior SCH Member

Question The noise!!!!

Hello everyone, first off. Want to say I am new here and this is a pretty cool website. Love it!! Ok. Now to buisness, I have a P600B on my Lt-1 and have to say its gotten pretty loud at idle, like a metal ratching noise. even when you rev up the engine its still there, a little quieter but not the noise it used to make. There is a definite metal sound to it.
    I pulled the supercharger off and want to tear into it. First I have a little play in the trans, how much would be normal? any? its only a couple thousandths. Second, can I replace the bearings in this thing? I have heard about the inner seal being an ATI bitccch, but I have no oil leaks. Now everyone I have been reading says theres sounds like a bad power steering pump then quietens down when rpms are brought up. This is the first supercharger I have ever had and dealt with and could really use the help. I have enough money into this thing I dont want to have to replace the damn thing already. Any help would be appreciated. I would like to rebuild this thing myself if thats what it needs.
    Thankyou. Michael.

SCH Member
    Dear new P600 owner:
    Ok let me address your questions:
    1. the sound at idle is normal, most of the supercharges make a noise at idle, but the P600 is the lowdest, and you are right , it sounds like a bad power steering pump, and the sound goes away once you rev it up.
    2. Oil seal on the pulley side is easy to find, bearings are also easy to get and very cheap ( 150 us for all of them), but impeller seal it is made for procharger exclusive, and they dont sell it.
    Otherwise I had heard at this site that someone have done the overhaul with no problems, but for 450 dollars for a complete overhaul at procharger sounds better for me...dont you think?
    Enjoy the boost!!!
    Pablo

Junior SCH Member

Thanks

Hey Pablo thanks for the reply. I took the supercharger apart and glad I did, the rear bearing that supports the impeller (small gear shaft.) decided to come apart and caused enough play the impeller was not exactly true running and caused the extra noise. Plus there is also another bearing thats a little rough feeling. I am going to replace all the bearings and the front seal. Not sure why this happened? I am religous with servicing both my oil changes, and air filters. I am chalking it up to a fluke and cheap brgs. See how quiet it is with it back together, hopefully like new, and making only the noise it should. PS. after the exchange rate of 450.00 plus shipping US to Canadian currency, it gets pricey, and I would rather do it myself, less down time.
    Last edited by Rogue Z28; 05-30-2004 at 04:06 AM.

SCH Member
    Do you have the part numbers for those bearings?
    I posted the question a while a go and Mr. SnakeIs helped me:
    here is his answer:
    I found thru my research that they used a really cheap a$$ bearing manufacturer for the P600's and the company has since went belly up. I have looked high and low with many great resources thru my job (delco remy usa) and I can't get the internal oil seal anywhere! It is a custom seal made just for ATI and you will have to send the blower in to them to get it replaced, it goes for $52.00!! The front seal is a common piece that you can get. The bearings can be found through a company called ESI Bearing (www.bearingsdirect.com) You will need part# 6203TBR and 6204TBR. These are a very high quality phenolic aerospace grade bearing and is quite costly. (2 bearings cost me $150) but its still cheaper than ATI. Hope this helps you guys out some, if you have anymore ?'s just let me know.
    Please let's give Mr. SnakeIs a big applause for his good work!!!
    I hope this would help you.
    Pablo.