Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Began the Turbo Kit Install!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Began the Turbo Kit Install!

Began the Turbo Kit Install!

I don't have any pictures today since it was overcast, but will take some tomrrow for all of ya.

I decided to make the best of this 4 day weekend and get to working on the damn car. So today at about 2:30 I decided to start working on it. By 3 my wrenching buddy showed up and I had the factory h pipe out of the car. This was actually the largest pain in the but all afternoon. Ended up using the die grinder and cutting the hangers off of it.

We had both factory headers off in about another 30 minutes, and then the drivers side header was next in line. Damn thing was just hitting on everything. The biggest problem is the clutch cable, which I still have no answer for. (thinking a longer one may be in order) Then it went on just fine. Oil filter fits, sway bar fits, (I'm thinking damn this is going smooth. About 6:45 rolls around, the cross over and both headers are on. We decided to get cleaned up and in before the storms come. Spark plug access seems to be decent on both headers, and the header bolts arn't to tough. I used copper headgaskets and rtv to seal up the headers.

Tomorrow I plan to get the fender cut, turbo, intercooler, and all cold pipe mounted up. I will take pictures of the current progress, and step by step tomorrow.

I'm still waiting on my Mass air meter to show, but I have everything else here I need, so boost is just around the corner.

I'll keep you fellas posted.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Great news!! I can't wait to see some pics!

BTW, what motivated you to start wrenching again?
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer

Thanks Dan. I'll have some for all of ya tomorrow.

I would say a combination of World Ford challenge, seeing all the slow cars at the track here latley, my buddy having trouble with his car. Lot's of things I guess.

I felt pretty damn good tonight after I got everything finished up. showered, drank a beer and felt like I accomplished something.

Lot's of motivation I guess. I also realized, that I've pretty much already spent all the big money that I'm going to spend for awhile, and that everything else is well withing financial graspe, so that got me moving too.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Pics for you fellas!

Ask for pics, and you shall get em!

So my buddy and I started wrenching today around 11:30 or so. He did a little cutting to fit the turbo, then we broke for lunch and some parts. When we got back, He finished cutting to fit the turbo, while I mounted the intercooler. With the condensor and the powerstering cooler moved, it made it possible to space the intercooler back far enough to keep from having to cut the bumper cover at all. The turbo bolted up, then came the wastegate, downpipe, and the turbo to intercooler tube. We decided that a blowthrough type meter woudl be the way to go, so Hopefully I can get in touch with Beau and work a deal to get an optomize instead of the 80mm blowthrough meter I ordered. We also moved all the wires on the passenger side fender, inside to not only clean things up a bit, but to also save em from heat.

We should be able to button the majority of the remaining issues up tomorrow and possibly start it up.

Anyone Know which port on the wastegate has to see vacume? It's a tial 38mm. I believe it's the side one, then you just leave the top open for low boooost? yes no?

We also learned that 13 year old stock *** cars are terribly filthy!

Brandon

90 strawberry coupe

Sweet, you made quite a bit of progress. Send some of that motivation my way :D Wrencing is always more fun with a good buddy pitching in as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

ha, the motivation is rolling since it's going so smooth. It will run tomorrow

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Awesome! I'm very impressed! Let me know your overall opinion on the fit and finish and what kit did you get by the way?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Looking good Bran..

Ian

Brett, so far the kit and finish of the ProTurboKit's genIII kit has been awsome. I've really been way impressed with the fit. All of the parts seem to be of top notch construction also. However, they don't make this style kit anymore. Now the turbo and passenger side header is configured a tad different.

Thanks guys, and thanks Ian.

by the way, I didn't see you guys at world ford Ian?

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Hey,

Lentech did not go up this year. Len was VERY busy at the shop and with the car. There is always next year :)

Ian

Brandon, I am more excited than a catholic school girl going to a dance!

Seriously, good job! KEEP US POSTED :D
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

Stangs and other SVT products I've owned...

2001 F150 SVT Lightning (Silver)
    JDM Stage 1 & 2 kit and 3k+ worth of audiosex
    [ sold... ]

91 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

#001 8" Crank Pulley Club

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

"ALWAYS OUT NUMBERED, NEVER OUT GUNNED"

Mustang Videos! Watch'em, upload'em and we host them at:

haha, thanks chris, I am too.

I should have some more pics and another report tomorrow!
    90 strawberry coupe

Senior SCH Member
    Nice turbo kit! I ordered an HP performance kit it looks a lot like that one! Keep the pictures coming!

alex, it does look very similar to the hp kit.

I started it up today guys. Ideled well, reved freely and even made a little bit of turbo noise. I need to come up with a blow through meter since there is absolutley no room for a draw through meter large enough for the car. I still need to solve the clutch cable problem, and fix my leaky *** power steering hoses, but other then that I just need to put the big injectors and she is done.

Oh, and wire a the gauges and ignition as well.

I will have some finished pics for you fellas a bit later today when it's not so damn bright out.

Oh, I also need a single 3" straight through muffler since the open down pipe is damn loud.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

SCH Member
    Damn, how long did it take you to install it all together? Why did you have to cut so much of the fender? Looks good!
    1989 LX Coupe
    Novi 1000, FMS/Bosch 42#'s, GT40 irons, GT40 intake, Pro-M 80mm MAF, 65mm T/B, 1.7 rockers, stock cam, MAC longtubes, MAC prochamber, flowmasters welded in stock pipes, T5z, 3.73 gears.

Best ET: 12.55
    Best MPH: 115.2