Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hay speedytang

Junior SCH Member

hay speedytang

ok i took it apart here are some pictures the links below. ok they balls look good nice and shinny no smuges or dents or scratches the perpeller wont turn unless supreme force it on it what can i use to remove the perpellor also how do i remove the balls ( i think i have to remove the perpellor first but i cant remove it do i need to unscrew it with a special screw or does it pop off a certain way. i think the perpellor is stuck on something

http://mathew82284.home.comcast.net/1.htm

Junior SCH Member

Arrow

forgot to add the part thats infront of the perpellor i took of all allen bolts and it still wont open it looks sealed i cant take it apart is there something im missing or does it not move? also it looks like i have a updated perpellor so it must have been rebuilt before could they have sealed it shut? or will i be able to break it open without breaking anything? youve done them alot i hear just want to know how you do it thanks

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Take the bolt off the impeller then the impeller shaft will come out which will release the balls. On the case half just tap it with a rubber mallet and the case will seperate if you removed call the allen bolts. With the case apart like you show you should be able to take your finger and rotate the impeller really easy and you should see the balls move around. If not you will probably find that the shaft has a bad groove or a notch in it.

Junior SCH Member

Arrow

hay where can i get the tool to get that bolt off to the perpellor?? does the bolt move to the left to remove it or do you pop it out???
    Last edited by buster; 05-30-2004 at 11:25 PM.

It is a threaded bolt on the impeller. Sears carries the 12 point if that is what yours is.

Junior SCH Member
    yea its a 12 point. also the perpellor doesnt move at all even with force. so it might have grove or notch in it

buster it sounds like the unit was not rebuilt correctly or already had a damaged impeller shaft.

Junior SCH Member
    how much do you think it will cost to fix it for the parts i mean?? if the parts look good can i reuse them?? ill post pics when i get them. Im going to get the socket a lil later.

The impeller shaft was like $150 and if the balls have no scaring then you can re-use them. So does the front pulley turn smooth and with ease since the case is apart.

Junior SCH Member

Arrow

yea perfectly smooth. also whats required to make it a vr4 since im haveing problems i think i should look into upgradeing whats involved and how much you think it will cost?

Junior SCH Member

Arrow

12 rib socket what size is it 8mm????

Junior SCH Member
    ok i got the part and took off the empellor but now the front still doesnt come off what could be holding it together could it be those things that are in the holes that arnt screws??? i hit i hard and it wouldnt split the balls look good but that piece that holds the balls has scratches that make it ruff its the piece that connects to the fan and holds the balls in. the fan turns now that its all apart so i wonder what can cause it not to move as its together. if you look at the pics closely youll see what i mean by other things holding it together that arnt the allen screws. is there anyway special way it needs to go back together?

The things that are not screws are dowel pins to line things up. The clearances are wrong on the carrier. The balls are sitting in a big bearing race the race is to far up causing to much pressure on the balls against the impeller shaft.

Junior SCH Member
    ok when i tried to put it back together i cant figure out how exactly are the balls supposed to move or to i tighten the perpellor so they dont move? i take it the balls move and move the perpellor? but when i tighten them it becomes hard to turn by hand not with the pulley on. is this what its supposed to do?

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buster
    ok when i tried to put it back together i cant figure out how exactly are the balls supposed to move or to i tighten the perpellor so they dont move? i take it the balls move and move the perpellor? but when i tighten them it becomes hard to turn by hand not with the pulley on. is this what its supposed to do?

The large doughnut shape ring that holds the balls and races in place is what puts the torque on the ball dirve (balls and races). Tighten them loose, put hte case on so the driver knuckle alighns the unit. then, pull it apart. Then tighten the doughnut to 15ft/lbs. Then, tighten the impeller to teh output shaft.