Thread: Tomorrow=D-Day

SCH Member

Tomorrow=D-Day

Hopefully I'll be getting the last of the wiring hooked up tonight and tomorrow morning and tomorrow afternoon I'll be firing the fresh drivetrain up!
    Stuff left to do: Route the O2/low oil sensor harness away from the headers, get the LMAF hooked onto the end of the powerpipe up in the fender, put the upper intake and discharge tube on, pick up my X-pipe from the exhaust shop, drop radiator in, hook up Ramchargers fan to Painless wiring kit and fill the fluids.
    I'm very excited, this is the first motor I've built myself(short of machine and head work) from the bare block up. I was very careful in my assembly and checked all the clearances and such, so hopefully everything will be ok. Needless to say my nervousness is about even with the excitement! ;)
    Here's the stats-
    347-
    Girdled roller block
    Eagle forged crank
    H-beam rods w/floating wrist pins
    SRP pistons
    Ported Twisted Wedge heads
    Ported Track Heat
    TFS Stage 2 cam
    BBK longtubes
    Dr Gas O/R X
    Oh, a V1 with 3.33/6.87 pulleys :D
    Morpheus powerpipe
    Renegade inlet/discharge
    Race Bypass
    T56-
    Spec Stage 3 clutch
    Pro 5.0 shifter
    Rear-
    4.10's
    Rebuilt t-lock
    94+Cobra brakes f/r
    Suspension-
    AJE Coilovers in front
    MM c/c plates
    MM rear lca's with weight jacks
    C/E shocks/Tokiko struts
    93 Cobra booster/SN95 m/c
    Braided lines
    Bullits with 275/40/17 Nitto 555R's in back

Just thought I'd share my excitement, I haven't posted on here much, but the tech is great reading...
    My question for this post is, should I put the blower belt on and hook up the oil feed right off the bat for the first firing or wait until the oil's been changed a couple times before hooking that up to try to avoid sending that metal through the blower?
    Thanks guys!

just my opinion,but i would wait just to make sure you have all working well! that's cool you built your own motor! the first motor i built was a catapillar3608 diesel,i was nervous as all hell, that motor is still running like a dream,the man who tought me,told me to watch for the little things,like machine work,sometimes they make mistakes and if you don't check and double check, well you know the outcome. i'm going to build my 331 when my 306 decides it's time. did you have to clearance the block for the stroke? and what was the most difficult part for you? missed part of your ? you'll have to change your oil after you tap the pan for the drain line,is why i said wait,and make sure all is well. good luck! :D
    Last edited by blueoval92; 06-18-2004 at 11:50 AM.
    Jorge

SCH Member
    I did have to do some clearancing of the block, just some minor notching of the cylinders though. Took about an hour.
    Worst part was probably trying to degree the f-ing cam. Took 2 hours and I'm still not sure I got it right...
    I had a fitting welded onto the pan rather than tapping it and the drain hose is already hooked up. Figured it'd be easier to do now than with the motor in the car and such.
    Thanks for the input!
    Jon

cool jon let us know how it goes,i like the fitting on the pan idea!---j.
    Jorge

SCH Member
    Popped off on the first try. Only problem is a lack of oil pressure :(
    I primed it with a deal that you fill with 3-4 qts of oil and has an air bladder that you fill to force the oil through the motor and got 15-20psi, but with the motor running zero. Pulled dist and ran the pump by hand and am not getting any from the pressure port either.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    I had the machine shop tap and install the galley plugs, but IDK what else it could be.

did you use new oil pump? that is wierd,sounds stupid but did you put the pick-up on? or the pick-up may be laying on the bottom of the pan,did you check the clearence, pick-up to pan?
    Last edited by blueoval92; 06-20-2004 at 07:39 PM.

SCH Member
    It's a new high volume pump, checked the clearance-about 1/2"...
    I'm just a dumbass, put the drill on the end of the 1/4" socket and extension and got a shoefull of oil after a couple of seconds.
    Has about 70psi@idle. Can't get it to run for more than a couple seconds though due to the stock chip not working well with the Lightning MAF and 42# injectors ;) That's tomorrow's project.
    Thanks for the input though!!
    Jon

no problem, cool beans,whoo that was close! congrats,won't be long and it will be blower time!!! :D

SCH Member
    Hopefully...gotta get it running long enough to do some tuning then on goes the belt! :D
    I can't wait to hear that whistle!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon01
    Hopefully...gotta get it running long enough to do some tuning then on goes the belt! :D
    I can't wait to hear that whistle!
    then it will be tea time!! :D
    Jorge