Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: speedytang i got new pics finaly

Junior SCH Member

Arrow speedytang i got new pics finaly

Last edited by buster; 06-01-2004 at 06:07 PM.

Junior SCH Member

Arrow

ok i know the problem just i dont know how to fix it. ive been trying to put my sn89 backtogether but then i tighten the outside 6 11mm bolts it turns fine when loose but when i get to the end of the bolt and start to tighten it more the pulley gets real hard to turn and when i try to turn its not smooth when you turn it. ive taken everything apart and left out the balls and everything all i left was the case and the circle piece that connects the fan and locks the balls in that piece was the only thing in and when i put the back of the case on it did the same thing it would let me turn it nice when it wasnt bolted down but when i tightened it it would move. is that piece that goes between the perpellor messed up?? the part looks in good condition, is there anyway to ajust the back of the case so it doesnt put to much pressure on it so i can tighten the bolts all the way so it will run again?
    Last edited by buster; 06-01-2004 at 06:12 PM. Reason: better info on problem

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Buster,
    I am thinking the problem over because with the balls out your still having a clearance problem and that is a tuff one to figure out.

Junior SCH Member

Arrow

im sorry i dont know what i ment earlyer by i left out the balls i forgot but i redid what i said and the perpellor and the pulley turned fine so i was confused, sorry. could the balls be to big for the unit??? because i put it together and left the perpellor off and the pulley wouldnt spin when i tightened it so i think the back end of the case is pushing to hard on the balls, so im guessing theres no way to ajust the back of the case the part that goes onto the balls??? it has to be a clearence problem but the problem is wierd have you had this problem before? also are the balls supposed to be locked in or are the supposed to move frealy inside???

Junior SCH Member

Arrow

everything you see in the pictures is what i have maybe im missing a spacer or a gasket???

update: i just relized what i did earlyer i did it again just now. i took out that metal piece that locks the balls in and also holds the perpellor and when i connected the unit the pulley turned fine so it has to be clearance problems with that piece and the back part thats what i ment to say. i think maybe there should be a gasket or a spacer that would allow me to tighten it and it still be loose or the back needs to be ajusted but i tried to figure it out and i cant seem to find a way i even hit it with a hammer thinking i could push it back a little and it didnt work i dont know what else to try really exept maybe im missing something. since you work with these alot does it seem like im missing something like this?
    Last edited by buster; 06-02-2004 at 02:49 AM.

Hard to tell from looking at the pictures, but is the bearing race that the balls sit in flush with the casing. Your not missing anything. Before you installed this unit was it rebuilt? I don't remember the history of the supercharger and I have been following your post on all the sites but I respond to so many I don't remember how you ended up with the unit. All the balls are the same size.

Question? If you have the impeller shaft and the balls installed and you put on the impeller like your second picture does it rotate ok. Next can you take a picture of the second half and let me see the drive unit which has the transmission cog that the balls sit into.

Junior SCH Member
    yea it spins fine. takeing picture now it will be at that web page on the bottom

Junior SCH Member
    i bought this supercharger off of ebay. and installed it and it worked for 1 night i went out to test it so i raced a little then i heard a big squeeling sound so i took the belt off and came home found out that the pulley wouldnt spin and the perpellor was stuck. i didnt run a bypass because i didnt know what it was i just found out. i think this could have been the problem but i heard if you run 6psi you dont need it. one more thing if the pressure of the air did this then something is out of wack. but like you asked above the balls do spin, so i think the back end of the case puts to much pressure on the balls so they wont turn.
    Last edited by buster; 06-02-2004 at 01:02 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    ok i know where the clearance problem is i took new pictures the circle piece the balls move around is too high there were pieces below it so i took them out to test and put it together and the pulley turned and the perpellor did too but the pulley wouldnt turn the perpellor so those piece have to go in somehow i took a picture of all the pieces that are below the big ring Pic 3 also the piece that goes below pic 3 is pic 4 (pic 6 is the otherside of this piece the piece has a bow in it) i think the piece is supposed to be like this. the piece in pic 3 i think has to be flat with the case if you look at pic 1 youll notice its up a little bit before i put it back together i just want to know which way you put that piece in (pic 4) i dont know which way to put it in the case just say which pic is the way to put it in the case for me. hay thanks for all the help im sorry if im trouble but i just wish this problem was taken care. i just want to have fun :)

In the early post this is what I was talking about when I said the ball race is the adjustment for how much pressure is put on the impeller drive unit. You have to many shims and it causes the race to be to high above the case which causes to much pressure on the drive unit and it won't turn. You of course now see why it is important for it to be just right. The more pressure on the balls allow more rpms before the balls skip across the impeller shaft but also causes more wear. The VR4 is on the edge with this clearance and that is why it was for racing only. Remove the shim that is the thinnest and put it back together and see how things rotate, just remember that when the case is bolted tight the drive pressure is increased so you better bolt it completely together to verify.

Also I forgot to add that the front pulley should take about 38 ftlbs to rotate with a torque wrench to verify you have it shimed right.

SCH Member
    Is 38 ftlbs a valid number for the SN93?

Junior SCH Member
    just letting you know i fixed the unit. thanks alot i really appreshate your help. :)

So was it the shims being to thick on the bottom of the carrier race.