Thread: 1000 starts chirping when hot

Junior SCH Member

1000 starts chirping when hot

Recently, my novi started chirping (or at least the area around it) when it heats up. It doesn't always do it, just when the car has been running for a long time and everything gets heat soaked.

I used a screwdriver to listen to it and it makes some pretty bad rumbling noises inside, but not much worse then it first when on. Bought it used with a supposed 3k miles on it. Paxton says $350 for bearings and seals. Does this sound like that problem?

Thanks,

Matt

Senior SCH Member
    Is it the blower or an idler or another acessory pully.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

Might just be a belt chirping?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    I'm still unsure whether its the s/c or idler pulley since neither do it when spun by hand. It's definitely in that area however. Should I try some belt dressing? The sound definitely could be the belt chirping, but that would indicate belt movement. The pullies are all in line... hmmm, gotta keep searching.

Matt

Junior SCH Member
    ttt.

blown5oh
    It'll be easy to test if it's the belt chirping. It very well could be your head unit itself - bad bearing most likely.

Junior SCH Member
    Well, it's intermittent so I guess I'll drive it around till it finally gets constant. The blower just better not grenade. Also, where can I find an inline oil filter for the blower? That could be the cause of a failed bearing if that's what this turns out to be.

Matt

Senior SCH Member
    I have the exact same problem. My blower has maybe 1000 miles on it. I have a 3 year warr. so I'm gonna send mine in after this season to get fixed. Paxton only pays shipping 1 way and it's still gonna be like $40-50 to ship the damn head unit there. Doesn't lack on power though :)

I had that exact intermittant chirping noise on my car when I overtightened the belt after a dyno session. Turned out it was the alternator bearings not liking the belt load.
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

Junior SCH Member
    Well, I figured it out and it needed a new belt. Seems the old one stretched enough to allow slack when hot. $40 and a new belt later all is well in the land of boost and tire hazing.

Matt
    2001 Cobra Vert.
    311.6RWHP/305.3RWTQ (N/A)
    410.3RWHP/426.7RWTQ (70 shot)
    487.8RWHP/394.8RWTQ (Novi)
    # 320 of 3384 built #1 of 163 combo

Novi 1000 (at 9#s) with Paxton IC, Anderson Powerpipe, FMS 4.10s,P/P Lower Intake,O/R H-pipe,DynoMax 3" SS Catback, Full KB chassis, Koni's, SPEC II clutch, tuning with SCT

Good to hear man.:)