Thread: Piston ring gap question?

Question Piston ring gap question?

These of you that have built an engine, when setting up your ring gap on your piston ring's what gap setting are you setting them to? This is on a 4.6L .020 over. I'm thing 18 to 21 on a feeler gauge; leave the rings some room to expand.

Thanks,
    Kyle

Any one got anything to add about this question?

Senior SCH Member
    For supercharged cars you normally run 8 thousandths per inch of bore on the top ring and 7 thousandths per inch of bore on the second ring. For example on my 5.0 liter the bore is 4 inches so the top ring is gapped to 28 thousandths and the second ring to 24 thousandths.

I know some people who go tighter for less blow by and some that go wider so they never have to worry about the rings butting. I just run the recommended.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FMGT1999
    These of you that have built an engine, when setting up your ring gap on your piston ring's what gap setting are you setting them to? This is on a 4.6L .020 over. I'm thing 18 to 21 on a feeler gauge; leave the rings some room to expand.

Thanks,
    Kyle
    IT DEPENDS ON THE PISTON if the crown is thick you dont have to run as much. it all has to do with heat transfer. look your brand up on the net most have charts but it also bepends on fuel and boost you are running.

Senior SCH Member
    I have never seen a piston come with a ring gap chart.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itlkick
    I have never seen a piston come with a ring gap chart.
    I have a chart that come with a set of Keith BLACK I BOUGHT A FEW YEARS BACK . but i would not use these pistons in a lawn mower. I have a copy of a chart from JE that is for a set of pistons I had made for a turbo setup. I have found charts on the net Just look. The safe rule of thumb is .007 to .009 per inch of bore drop a few for the second.