Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to SuperCharger Help

Junior SCH Member

Smile New to SuperCharger Help

Hello everybody. I have been referred to this site from "TheHawk05." I am going to be purchasing a Novi 1000. You can see my combo in the sig. What should I expect when installing this? My friend and I are both going to be doing this. Both of us are mechanically savvy. I would like to make at least 8psi of boost. Some people say with my combo I will see roughly 12psi with the 8" crank pulley. What is recommended that I purchase along with the Novi 1000 other than the 42# injectors, Pro-M 75mm MAM, and the 255lph fuel pump?

Thanks everyone!

Hmmmm, no combo in sig :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5150 LX
    Hmmmm, no combo in sig :D

Thats funny. I filled one out.

302 rebuilt w/ new rings and bearings
    Edelbrock Performer heads
    Trickflow stage 1 cam w/ 1.7 rr's
    Edelbrock Performer intake
    BBK 70mm TB
    Pro-M 75mm MAM
    24# injectors w/ Kirban AFPR
    March pulley set no a/c
    Ramchargers dual electric fans
    BBK LT headers
    3.73 gears
    X2C Upper/Lower control arms

Current times: 13.1 at 105.12 w/ 1.88 60'
    305.1 RWHP & 331.7 RWTRQ using 39psi FP at 10* w/ 89 octane

SCH Member
    Man me and you have the same exact setup except I have a RPM intake. I want to ask you a couple of questions. Or you happy with how your car runs? Do you have any idea how much your car weighs? I'm running similar mph as you and I feel that my combo is lacking something. I have buddies with different combos trapping 109mph+ all day long and i'm lucky to hit 106mph. I'm thinking the cam is causing the problem or maybe the 1.7s, you have any idea? either way when i get my novi... it should wake it up big time.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0 Hatch
    Man me and you have the same exact setup except I have a RPM intake. I want to ask you a couple of questions. Or you happy with how your car runs? Do you have any idea how much your car weighs? I'm running similar mph as you and I feel that my combo is lacking something. I have buddies with different combos trapping 109mph+ all day long and i'm lucky to hit 106mph. I'm thinking the cam is causing the problem or maybe the 1.7s, you have any idea? either way when i get my novi... it should wake it up big time.
    Hey man, what's going on? Well, I am quite pleased with my combo. However, you do have one problem, if you are running the same setup as mine, except for the RPM intake, than that is your problem. The RPM intake is for higher RPM's, that's why its called that. I was going to go that route as well and I was told if I do go that way to get a larger cam than the TFS 1 cam. Our MPH is good. You can't really compare to different combos that your friends have. Now if they had identical combos as you and I and were running faster, than there could be something we missed. What is their 1/4 mile times and 60' times? I know that I can squeeze a 1.7 60' to give me a 12.9 at probably 108mph or so. My car roughly weighs 3300 +/- 50lbs with me in it. I will weigh it at a weigh station hopefully soon. Otherwise I am please with my numbers. I know with added timing and 93 octane fuel I will have at least 5-15 more hp. Trust me, I think that your RPM intake is a bit too much for our/your setup. If you have a buddy with just the performer intake, borrow the upper from him, it bolts right to your lower and see how your car goes. The cam with the performer heads and 1.7 rockers make a great match. My HP and TRQ curve was a nice flow going up and then started to gradually go down, not plummit. Trust me, our combo is very strong. Add the Novi 1000 like I will, and we will be hitting I would say 440rwhp with the 8" crank pulley and correct timing and FP.

SCH Member
    hmm... maybe you right about the intake. My best time is 13.15@106mph with 1.82 60ft. My best mph which only happened once, i think it was a freak run. Anyway it was 13.20@108mph on street tires. I know it is pretty strong but like i said i have a buddy for instance with old edelbrock heads, b cam, cobra intake, 3.73s etc. and he runs 12.40s@110mph and his weighs 20lbs more than mine. I've tried swapping out air meters and fuel injectors and still had no luck picking up power. My car weighs exactly 3300#s with me in it. I dynoed it on a mustang dyno which is known to show low numbers and it did 259rwhp@5900rpms. Where did yours peak at?

Junior SCH Member
    hmm... maybe you right about the intake. My best time is 13.15@106mph with 1.82 60ft. My best mph which only happened once, i think it was a freak run. Anyway it was 13.20@108mph on street tires. I know it is pretty strong but like i said i have a buddy for instance with old edelbrock heads, b cam, cobra intake, 3.73s etc. and he runs 12.40s@110mph and his weighs 20lbs more than mine. I've tried swapping out air meters and fuel injectors and still had no luck picking up power. My car weighs exactly 3300#s with me in it. I dynoed it on a mustang dyno which is known to show low numbers and it did 259rwhp@5900rpms. Where did yours peak at?
    Your buddy that is running 12.4's, what is his 60'? That is very low for his setup, but great times. My peak horsepower was at 5400, and my peak torqe is at 4700. So I shift at 6000 so it falls right in between. Your HP numbers are very low. Go to a different place to get it dynoed. I still am trying to understand how your friend is getting such low et's. Literally, he would have to be hitting like 1.5 60' times to be going that fast.

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra88GT
    Your buddy that is running 12.4's, what is his 60'? That is very low for his setup, but great times. My peak horsepower was at 5400, and my peak torqe is at 4700. So I shift at 6000 so it falls right in between. Your HP numbers are very low. Go to a different place to get it dynoed. I still am trying to understand how your friend is getting such low et's. Literally, he would have to be hitting like 1.5 60' times to be going that fast.

Well my buddy is running 110mph traps, so all it takes is 1.75 60fts are so to do 12.4s. Putting time aside from all this, my trap speeds are lower than they should be. if you peak at 5400 and i peak at 5900 it must be the intake since that is the only difference. I think most of my problem is i can't shift it high enough because of the rev limiter at 6250.

Junior SCH Member
    Well my buddy is running 110mph traps, so all it takes is 1.75 60fts are so to do 12.4s. Putting time aside from all this, my trap speeds are lower than they should be. if you peak at 5400 and i peak at 5900 it must be the intake since that is the only difference. I think most of my problem is i can't shift it high enough because of the rev limiter at 6250.
    Exactly. Your intake is too much for your car. You need to buy new or used the edelbrock performer upper only. Call edelbrock to see if it is possible to get that only. About your friends times. I still don't know how he does it. I got a 1.88 60' and went through the traps at 105.12 at 13.1. I can't understand how your friend got a 12.4. That is crazy, especially since his combo is not as strong as mine our yours. I also know for a fact that my combo is a nice combo, especially by seeing the chart after my dyno and the nice even flow of torque and horsepower. I think people would agree with me that his 60' times have got to be lower than a 1.75. Hey, I'm not doubting your information, but you see where I am coming from. What is his timing at?

SCH Member
    timing at 18* and fp at 50psi on 30lb. injectors. Anything less than that and i will loose mph. Well like I said my buddies car moves pretty good and he's not the only one I know in the low 12s with thrown together combos. But you have to understand one thing and that is...he is trapping 5mph more than you. That in itself will easily get a 12.4. 5mph makes a HUGE difference. From what i understand shorter runner intakes are better for use with superchargers, so i'll keep and and see what happens.

Its really no biggie, I just got tired of trying to kill the car to get a 12 out of it...The novi should be put me there with ease.

Junior SCH Member
    timing at 18* and fp at 50psi on 30lb. injectors. Anything less than that and i will loose mph. Well like I said my buddies car moves pretty good and he's not the only one I know in the low 12s with thrown together combos. But you have to understand one thing and that is...he is trapping 5mph more than you. That in itself will easily get a 12.4. 5mph makes a HUGE difference. From what i understand shorter runner intakes are better for use with superchargers, so i'll keep and and see what happens.

Its really no biggie, I just got tired of trying to kill the car to get a 12 out of it...The novi should be put me there with ease.
    ---Wow dude, that is some crazy timing and fuel pressure. I am surprised that your not getting any detonation. I know that MPH helps out a lot. I will see what happens the next time I go to the track to pick up some MPH. If I can somehow trap 5mph more and get those times, I am golden! If not, oh well, I wont stress over it because with the novi I will be in low 12's to high 11's.

When i ran on the motor I ran my timing @ 17 and my fp @ 42psi with 24's and i never trapped lower than a 107 with drag radials and as high as 109.XX. I had 3.55's and that kept me in the high 12's as well. Tfs tw's, tfs#1 cam and the holley sys2. I don't think that the intake is your problem cause the holley is even more intake that the rpm. Sounds like you're too rich 5.0 hatch. but if it slows down that i wouldn't change it.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

fwiw........i thought mine should've been faster too but when i put the blower on it came into it's own. ;)
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    When i ran on the motor I ran my timing @ 17 and my fp @ 42psi with 24's and i never trapped lower than a 107 with drag radials and as high as 109.XX. I had 3.55's and that kept me in the high 12's as well. Tfs tw's, tfs#1 cam and the holley sys2. I don't think that the intake is your problem cause the holley is even more intake that the rpm. Sounds like you're too rich 5.0 hatch. but if it slows down that i wouldn't change it.
    WOW, that is a lot of timing. Surprised that you didn't get any pinging! My timing before I dropped it to 10* for the dyno, it was at 12*. Do you think that if I go up to 14* I should pick up some MPH? My fuel pressure is at 40psi. That gained me some 5hp by dropping my fuel pressure down from 44. Man, if adding some timing to the car will help my MPH, than I'm there. 2-4 extra MPH's will definitely bring me into the 12's.

SCH Member
    I'd say if you can get away with around 16-18* you'll easily get to around 108-109mph. With the combo we have we should be in the 110+mph and running low 12s. Try picking up the timing and heading to a track and let me know how it does. I know my problem is most likely my fuel pump...i'll be taking care of that this weekend.