Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to SuperCharger Help

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0 Hatch
    I'd say if you can get away with around 16-18* you'll easily get to around 108-109mph. With the combo we have we should be in the 110+mph and running low 12s. Try picking up the timing and heading to a track and let me know how it does. I know my problem is most likely my fuel pump...i'll be taking care of that this weekend.

Man, if I can pick up 4-5mph that would be sweet! Mid-low 12's would be nice. Now, when I check my timing at like 16*, what exactly does pinging sound like? I have never heard what it sounds like underload. I know that if I do put my timing up that high than I would always have to use 93 octane. If I can get away with 16* timing and test it at the track without problems and I can pick up some speed, I will be thrilled. I will time the car on Wednesday and see what happens and I will let you know when I get out to the track.

sunoco 94 ultra is the only way to go. Drive it like you're 16 and it's your girlfriends dad's car....DON'T ACT LIKE YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I MEAN!! :D ;) :p

Take the timing up til it slows down if you can get enough passes in but my car really liked timing, blown and N/A.........fwiw i think 14-16 initial is the norm in good running efi N/A combos.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

SCH Member
    do what regattacoup says. pick it up till it quits picking up mph. Then if you can do the same with fp. You really can't go by what my car does. I've asked everyones opinion on the problem i have with my car and nobody knows whats up. My car traps anywhere from 97mph to 106mph without any changes. I've tried everything on mine, changed maf, injectors, you name it i tried it. One day i was at the track and trapping 101mph for about 3 passes then out the blue it went 108mph without touching anything. I have no idea, some believe my fuel pump might be giving out since it runs best at 50psi on 30lb injectors. I'll change it this weekend and see.

i'd say you should be at 16 degrees initial and about 40psi of fuel...That should put you close to where it needs to be. The average h/c/i mustang runs around 108mph traps.

Junior SCH Member
    5{tacoupe]sunoco 94 ultra is the only way to go. Drive it like you're 16 and it's your girlfriends dad's car....DON'T ACT LIKE YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I MEAN!! :D ;) :p

Take the timing up til it slows down if you can get enough passes in but my car really liked timing, blown and N/A.........fwiw i think 14-16 initial is the norm in good running efi N/A combos.[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what you're saying! I drive my car hard. But, there is one problem, here in NY, they stopped selling/using 94 octane, 93 is the highest that I can get. Here at the local track when it is open on Saturdays, there is a test and tune. You pay $25 and you can run from 10:30 to 4pm and go down as many times as you want! I went down the track 8 times in a hour and a half! That is a lot! So I know that I can get my runs in. What my friend recommended I do is buy a timing light, take it to the track, go down the track 2 times and then bump it up to 14* and test it then. Then I will put it up another degree and then to 16* if I need to. As long as it doesn't ping on me than I'm happy!

SCH Member
    there you go thats what needs to be done. While trying to dial it in don't worry about your time, just try to get consistant 60fts and watch your mph, my car picked up 1mph per degree of timing. So you have alot left in it if you at 10 now. Also don't worry about 94 octane...93 should be fine. Most likely it will drop mph before pinging. I rebuilt mine the same way as yours, just rings and bearings so we both at stock compression and i've ran mine on 87 octane ata 18 degrees believe it or not. Mine wont ping till around 22 degrees on 93 but starts dropping mph after 18.

Aluminum heads can take alot of timing.

Junior SCH Member
    there you go thats what needs to be done. While trying to dial it in don't worry about your time, just try to get consistant 60fts and watch your mph, my car picked up 1mph per degree of timing. So you have alot left in it if you at 10 now. Also don't worry about 94 octane...93 should be fine. Most likely it will drop mph before pinging. I rebuilt mine the same way as yours, just rings and bearings so we both at stock compression and i've ran mine on 87 octane ata 18 degrees believe it or not. Mine wont ping till around 22 degrees on 93 but starts dropping mph after 18.

Aluminum heads can take alot of timing.
    Hopefully the track is open on Saturday for me to test it out. If thats the case that by adding 1mph for every degree of timing, man, if I can get to 16* without a problem, thats 6mph, sweet!

Check this out. I replaced my radiator like a year and a half ago. Now my car today got to 202*! I was like, "what the f**k!" The dual electric fans that I have are built into a shroud. However, roughly 10 inches at the bottom of the radiator. Now I have seen people who have electric radiators and open space take a sheet of thin metal and weld it or whater to radiator, obviously on the same side the electric fans are on. Doesn't this act like a shroud and holds the air in to keep the radiator fluid cooler? Should I just invest in a 3core radiator? Is it that the radiator can hold more radiator fluid to keep the car cooler? The tstat is a 180*, brand new with rebuild. The waterpump is a year old. Would everybody recommend a 3core radiator since I will be getting a blower? Now does it have to be aluminum or can it be a brass made one?

SCH Member
    I can't answer your questions on cooling...I'm running a 4 core radiator, new waterpump, new thermastat and stock fan and i still can't keep mine cool. In town there is no way i can use my a/c, it will overheat. after owning 3 mustangs and always had problems keeping them cool..I just learned to accept it now. I would not worry about 202*. the stock thermastat is a 195 so you still very safe.

Junior SCH Member
    I can't answer your questions on cooling...I'm running a 4 core radiator, new waterpump, new thermastat and stock fan and i still can't keep mine cool. In town there is no way i can use my a/c, it will overheat. after owning 3 mustangs and always had problems keeping them cool..I just learned to accept it now. I would not worry about 202*. the stock thermastat is a 195 so you still very safe.
    You see, I have a 180* tstat. If you have a 195* in there, take it out! That could be one of your problems. Because with a 4core radiator, new WP and a 180* tstat, you should be running right at 180*, maybe 185* at the tops! So change your tstat if you have a 195*. But with a 4core dude, I think that you should be running super cool.