Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Too Big?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Big?

Too Big?

i am in the market for a supercharger, i dont want to have to buy another one, my plans are to go low 10s to mid 9's and still be streetable. right now my combination is basic, i will upgrade eventually but right now it will stay as is, here it is:
    TFS TW heads (box stock)
    TFS track heat intake with 1 inch spacer
    f- cam
    stock shortblock
    i talked to spence and he said a ys would be fine, everyone here locally thinks i am nuts to put this on my car, they say it takes alot of RPM to spin it and so on, my question to you guys..is should i get a YS? or should i get a novi 2000?
    i want to make the right decision...thanks for any help

Clint

Senior SCH Member
    yes the YS will be fine, just have to pulley it down for less boost, FWIW, the NOVI 2000 and the YS head units are very very close in performance and flow specs. You can get the YS in renegade kit form that does not include fuel or ignition(best bang for the buck) or you can get the YS SHO kit that does include the fuel and ignition, this is the street version kit.
    Spence

8.96/160

Junior SCH Member
    I run a YS pullied down to 12psi, and I don't have any problems with it. Plus it gives me room to grow, because I have the Renegade pullies on the shelf. :D
    302 shortblock, X303 heads, E303 cam, SVO 1.6 roller rockers, Hogans upper, GT40 lower w/ 1" spacer, BBK 70mm throttle body & EGR, 42# inj., A/C elim., Smog Elim., Pro-M 80mm, Diablo Sport "REV Only" chip, Vortech YS trim 12#'s w/ mondo bypass, AFM Power Pipe, MSD 6AL w/ BTM, Aeromotive Competition Fuel System, Ron Davis 3 core aluminum radiator, BBK chrome shorties, MAC H-Pipe, MAC Dumps, Trans Specialties C4 w/ Trans Specialties Custom built 10 XHD HS converter, B&M Pro-Stick Shifter, UPR K-Member, w/ coil overs, Southside upper/lower control arms, Kenny Brown Sub's, Moser 33-spline's, Moser Spool, C-Clip Elim, S&W 8-point cage, 3.73's, Weld Draglites w/ 26 x 10 M/T ET Drags, and 15 x 3 1/2 Draglites on front.

Best time: 10.558 @ 130.19 w/ 1.503 60'

oh yeah i forgot to mention that drive this car daily to work and back?
    89 GT TFS Heads Systemax Intake
    TFS 2 cam 3:55s Novi 2000 42#ers
    466hp / 409 torque ;)
    10.58 @ 121 mph

SCH Member
    Originally posted by BlownPony
    I run a YS pullied down to 12psi, and I don't have any problems with it. Plus it gives me room to grow, because I have the Renegade pullies on the shelf. :D
    does it seem to be lazy at lower rpm's with that blower? you would think at that levelit might be a little softer the the s-trim till it gets moving
    93 notch-s-trim@11 p.s.i.,twisted wedge,GT-40,comp,306-pump gas only-10.93@129.7 on bfg drag radials--10.64@127.5 on ET drags
    548rwhp/502 rwtq

new 340" procharged combo in the works

freezy, what cam are you using?
    89 GT TFS Heads Systemax Intake
    TFS 2 cam 3:55s Novi 2000 42#ers
    466hp / 409 torque ;)
    10.58 @ 121 mph

SCH Member
    i use a XE274HR
    93 notch-s-trim@11 p.s.i.,twisted wedge,GT-40,comp,306-pump gas only-10.93@129.7 on bfg drag radials--10.64@127.5 on ET drags
    548rwhp/502 rwtq

new 340" procharged combo in the works

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by FREEZY74
    does it seem to be lazy at lower rpm's with that blower? you would think at that levelit might be a little softer the the s-trim till it gets moving
    I can't really compare my YS to an S, because before the YS I had a Paxton SN-93. All I know is I am not disappointed with my setup.
    302 shortblock, X303 heads, E303 cam, SVO 1.6 roller rockers, Hogans upper, GT40 lower w/ 1" spacer, BBK 70mm throttle body & EGR, 42# inj., A/C elim., Smog Elim., Pro-M 80mm, Diablo Sport "REV Only" chip, Vortech YS trim 12#'s w/ mondo bypass, AFM Power Pipe, MSD 6AL w/ BTM, Aeromotive Competition Fuel System, Ron Davis 3 core aluminum radiator, BBK chrome shorties, MAC H-Pipe, MAC Dumps, Trans Specialties C4 w/ Trans Specialties Custom built 10 XHD HS converter, B&M Pro-Stick Shifter, UPR K-Member, w/ coil overs, Southside upper/lower control arms, Kenny Brown Sub's, Moser 33-spline's, Moser Spool, C-Clip Elim, S&W 8-point cage, 3.73's, Weld Draglites w/ 26 x 10 M/T ET Drags, and 15 x 3 1/2 Draglites on front.

Best time: 10.558 @ 130.19 w/ 1.503 60'

Hmmm

Yes, go with the YS all the way. That is the one I am going with, and I will drive it on the street sometime. The only problem I am having is trying to decide on which automatic tranny.
    393 stroker with YS-trim Vortech :-)

Junior SCH Member

Re: Hmmm

Originally posted by Brcuda
    Yes, go with the YS all the way. That is the one I am going with, and I will drive it on the street sometime. The only problem I am having is trying to decide on which automatic tranny.
    LOL, my dilemma is the opposite...i bought my lentech already, but i dunno wich to buy, YS or T...
    R-302 Forged 306 8.1:1 Ported TFS TW Victor 5.0 NX274hr S-Trim 2.95 PMS Aeromotive fuel system #50 Sfmu 80mm MAF 76mm TB DIY wideband OČ (next: YS trim, or T76)

I feel your pain, but as you see I went YS.

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by FREEZY74
    I just finished up(except for hooking up the PMS) my Powerdyne to YS install and the car runs awesome. It is definitely not lazy at any rpm. I have a 3.33 s/c pulley with the 8" crank per Spence's recommendation. FWIW-My powerdyne combo made 427rwhp/415rwtq. I can't wait to get this thing tuned and on a dyno. :D
    1988 5spd Coupe
    Powerdyne combo-427rwhp/415rwtq 12.2@120--2.0 60ft.
    YS combo-525hp/455tq

Kool

Sounds great, should have mine going after the WFC here in St.Louis in May. I am thinking about getting my tranny from Lentech. Len will bring it with him to the WFC.

Junior SCH Member
    Here's a question for you guys, regarding pulleying a YS trim to a lower boost.. Verses running an S trim at the same boost..

When I proposed running my T76 size turbo (which has a simular flow rating as a YS trim) at "only" 12 lbs of boost.. A technician from Cartech told me I would be on the low side of the compressor map, and out of this size turbo's most efficient range..
    He said that when you get out of the compressors sweet spot, that it's heat out put per pound of boost goes up..

Comparing compressor maps..Does a YS trim or an S trim operate more efficiently at 12 lbs of boost..
    Jeff
    1500 Kenne-Bell
    11.66 @ 119.84
    1.69 60' on BFG's
    Building: 383 Windsor
    with a T-76 Outlaw Turbo

Junior SCH Member
    Jeff,

I made the switch last summer, S-trim 12lbs to a YS-trim at 12lbs.
    I did notice that the YS didn't have the same lowend hit that the S-trim had. Hard to explain, but with the s-trim and automatic, as soon as I nailed it the car would jump and pull all the way to redline. With the YS at 12lbs it was softer of the line, but pulled harder up top. Once I had the YS at 16lbs, it was like a different blower, it pulled so much harder.