Thread: DIFFRENCE BETWEEN SN92&SN93?

SCH Member

DIFFRENCE BETWEEN SN92&SN93?

WHATS THE DIFFRENCE BETWEEN THE 2? ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT,THANKS FRANK.

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyhorse88
    WHATS THE DIFFRENCE BETWEEN THE 2? ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT,THANKS FRANK.

Frank,

Turn OFF your caps!!!

SCH Member
    I DONT GET IT? TURN OFF YOUR CAPS? LOL.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    On those models it was internal seals and bearings. The seal for the impeller shaft gained another rib and now the newest seal is a $55 3-rib seal to keep the unit from leaking. I have seen a different impeller but not sure if that was a change made on the SN2000 and people put it on the SN93.

SCH Member
    The case on my SN-93 is completely different than on the SN-92 and back superchargers. It has 6 long bolts running through the front of the unit, instead of around the edges like all other SN series. The casing is smoother and the edges are not as defined, especially in the transition to the scroll cover. On my unit, the scroll cover doesn't exactly match up to the housing because of the changes. The scroll cover has same appearance as the older style though. Still bolts up in the same locations.

SCH Member
    THANKS GUYS! IT MAKES THE SAME POWER THOUGH?

That is good to know about the unit difference because all the pictures I have the internal design looks the same. Can you tell RED350DROPTOP what the design difference does when it comes to strength of the internals.

SCH Member
    No, I have not had a 92 in my posession to compare internally to the 93.

From my poking around and gathering what I can about the units, Paxton changed the housings starting with the 93s to the smoother housing (with the exception of the SN-60's front housing being changed from having the hole in it to the SN-89 without one). The 93 and VR-4 share the common long bolts running through the front, behind the pulley while the Novi-GSS and SN-2000 returned to the outer smaller bolts. The Novi-GSS and SN-2000 still have the smoother outer housing.

Speedy, I could hypothesize that the longer larger bolts may help control housing expansion under heat, and possibly help keep impeller location more stable (especially with the VR-4). As far as the exterior casting changes, I don't think that it has any appreciable effect. What do you think?

2 of my VR'4s are the SN-92 case that I converted and they don't have the bolts behind the pulley and my original VR4 that I purchased direct from Paxton because they had no dealers back in 1992 and it has the case with no bolts behind the pulley. I really think Paxton(Granetelli "spelling") used what ever was on the shelf because when I ordered it back then I had the cost of a billet impeller added and they said it would take 6-8 weeks to deliver and it took 3 months.

SCH Member
    I learn something new every day.

SCH Member
    Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead but Speedytang, are you saying that the VR4 and the SN 93 cases are interchangeable? Like that gear drive unit that's been in the works for a 93 could be used on my VR4 and get rid of the balldrive issues alltogether?

-rick

They are the same externally.

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang View Post
    They are the same externally.
    so any retro fit gearcase design that might come available would be able to fit an SN 2000 or VR4? That is very encouraging. I have decided to keep the VR4 that i have and get it fixed, although in the future i would love to eliminate the ball drive if possible.

rick