Thread: Installed SN95 alternator on my '93 now belt is to short...

Junior SCH Member

Angry Installed SN95 alternator on my '93 now belt is to short...

installed sn95 alternator on my s-trim'd '93 now belt is to short. can't get it to go over the a/c pulley. Am I doing something wrong? do I need to get a longer belt? if so what size? thanks

The pulley might be bigger, or you are routing the belt the wrong way.

SCH Member
    I agree with the above post the pulley is bigger. Take a string and run it around the pulleys like you put the belt on and meassure it.
    93 LX
    R331/AFR 205/Vic 5.0/? psi

Junior SCH Member

Belt size

I upgraded to the 3g alternator and ended up having to go to a belt 1" longer than what I was using, as the alternator pulley was larger.

Junior SCH Member
    I don't know what kind of pulleys you are using. But my combo is a 1990 5.0 Mustang with A/C, P/S, smog, 93 Cobra water pump pulley, 4.75" inch crank pulley for engine (93 Cobra kit), and a 130 amp alternator with a Ford racing underdrive pulley. Before I put the Vortech S-trim on I was using a Gates K060874 belt with the above items. The last three numbers is the belt length in inches. After the blower went on, I found out that the 87.4 belt was too short. I bought a Gates K060888 belt and it fits fine now. I dunno if the blower brackets shifted the position a little or what. Your belt size will vary depending on what kind/size pulleys you are using. Just make sure the belt you get is in the "range" on the belt tensioner. You don't want it too tight or too loose.

Junior SCH Member
    finally got the right size belt, ended up being 1" longer (91.5")
    thanks for the help