Thread: Hit 10lbs of Boost Today

SCH Member

Hit 10lbs of Boost Today

I live in Fayetteville, North Carolina and it is 34 degrees today. I have a Novi 1000 on the stang. I took the stang out for a spin on my test and tune road and hit 10lbs of boost. I made 3 pass to make sure the boost gauge was reading 10lbs. I have not changed the crank pulley to a F-150 pulley or put on a powerpipe. The stang was breaking the tires loose pretty easily when I shifted to 3rd gear. I guess cold air is really good for the stang.

Later,

Dawg :)
    Dawgsgt White 93 GT
    Engine: 331 ci. built by Ohio Crankshaft Edelbrock RPM intake, Edelbrock 6037 heads, Accufab 70mm TB, 1.6 roller rockers, Comp cams, SCT 2800 90mm Mass air, 60lb injectors, Professional Products Hi-Flow fuel rail kit, MSD Timing Retard, Aluminum 2 core radiator, electric vaccum pump.
    Power Adder: Vortech Sci-trim Supercharger with upgraded discharge tube, UPR Powerpipe.
    Suspension: Ground pounder adjustable cast and camber plates, Lakewood 70/30 struts, 50/50 drag shocks, subframe connecters, Factory 5 upper and lower control arms.
    Exhaust: Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers, Dr. gas X-pipe, 2.5 (2) chamber Flowmaster mufflers.
    Electronics: MSD 6AL, Blue Ford Motorsport 9mm wires, MSD Cap and rotor.
    Drivetrain: Stock T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter with a chrome Hurst handle, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.55 gears.
    Interior: 2 1/16 Dual gauge pod with Boost and Fuel gauges.
    Exterior: Original Oxford white paint job, Chrome 5 Star Pony rims

I had a similar experence with my novi2k this past weekend. It was somewhere around 36 to 40 out and I hit about 14 psi in second gear at around 6 grand. That was while trying to hold the pms programer to try to see if the boost was the same as on the gauge.

Brandon

Nice! I remember just before I put my car away it was a blast! Or late nite crusing is really fun! The cooler the air, the more fun was to be had!

Ian

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Sometimes it is not the cooler incoming air that is giving you guys that entire additional boost on a cool day but it is a factor. The belt has shrunk from the temperature drop and your not getting the slipping that usually occurs on a 70+-degree day. I have taken my Laser gun and have seen the belt range in temperature from 10 degrees to 100 degrees above ambient. I mark my supercharger pulley and my belt in ½” markings then run a strobe under the hood with a micro camera hooked to a video camera in the cockpit. You would be amazed what it records when it comes to slipping .I take readings of my belt and logs it with the temperature at the track. I have been recording this for about 3 years and have a great pattern now that I can judge how much boost I will see at a given ambient temperature. I like dealing with the what-if. I can change nothing but can go from 8 lbs. to 12lbs of boost and now I am prepared before it happens.

speedytang: You are a hardcore racer!

Ian

Not really hardcore, just tired of replacing Head Gaskets. I can change a pair of gaskets on a EFI engine now in 2 hours. Everytime the weather changed I would not take out enough timing because who would guess a 4lb increase from day to night. A wastegate of my design will be tested in March and I will have the boost settings like a Turbo car without changing pulleys and without surging throttle problems from non metered air.

Sounds very interesting! Do you have any pics of your car?

Ian

Sure! I will load some up on the site. Do you have a place for videos yet, I am now converting all my tapes to digital files.

The photopost will take videos as well.

Ian