Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Serp belt question

Thread: Serp belt question

Junior SCH Member

Question Serp belt question

Installing a S trim on my 93.

I run a standard rotation WP, no AC, PS or Smog

anyone have any ideas for a tensioner?

heres where Im at..

another angle

I'm running a very similar setup. What I did was take the stock tensioner. Removed the pulley from it. Enlarged the top hole in the blower bracket right by the radiator hose. Found a bolt and made a spacer and mounted it there. Then used a turnbuckle (it has 2 eyebolts connected by a sleeve) as the tensioner. Mounted that to alternator and to the blower bracket, using one of the bolts right below the blower. Unfortunatly I don't have any pictures or able to take them due to the car being torn apart

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks,

That sounds like a good idea.

Attached Images Attached Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by GroverDill
    Installing a S trim on my 93.

I run a standard rotation WP, no AC, PS or Smog

anyone have any ideas for a tensioner?

heres where Im at..

another angle
    I took of the tensioner off and drilled another hole in it a lil higher so the nipple would fit in there makeing the pully sit higher. Some guys weld them some put a screw through them, but i chose this route. I ran the belt over that pully straight down to the crank, from the crank back over to the w/pump down around the alt and back up over the tens. pulley...i got my tension from an adjustable rod end i got from March Pulleys($48. well worth it)..Worked great!!!

Junior SCH Member
    Do you still need help with this?? I have a great looking and easy to install and use setup.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged86
    Do you still need help with this?? I have a great looking and easy to install and use setup.

yes, the car status has not changed as of yet.

I am open to any ideas.

thanks everyone.

Junior SCH Member
    I have a similar setup on my 86, this is what I did. I used a universal alternator mounting bracket made by Mr. Gasket (sorry, I couldn't find the part # though), it is a 3/16" chrome plated J-shaped steel bracket, which has a 4" or so slotted end and is approx. 14" in length. Because this is too long I needed to trim the end for proper length. Redrill a new 3/8" hole at the end, then I used the original 1" round/cylinder spacer Vortech provided for the proper smog pump install, and mounted this j-shaped bracket on the back side of the 1/4" steel Vortech plate. This is mounted through the top smog pump mounting hole. This J-bracket will now hang down perfectly and line up with the bottom mounting ear of your alternator. Using the round spacer mounted above (+ or - ) a washer should allow the J-bracket to hang down and be flush against the alternator mounting ear. If need be, first mount the J-bracket to the bottom of the alternator and measure the distance from the back of the Vortech plate to the J-bracket. Now because of the slotted end on the J-bracket, this will allow you to pull up on the alternator and adjust the belt tension. Tighten the two bolts and your done. Remember that you'll have to recheck your belt tension periodically and manually adjust accordingly. I know this narrative sucks, if need be, I can send pics. Good luck.

ps. I've been running this setup since 1996, has never failed.
    Last edited by Supercharged86; 06-20-2004 at 01:17 PM.