Thread: what to do about damaged strim head unit??

Junior SCH Member

what to do about damaged strim head unit??

I have a v-1 strim head unit from 91 mustang. to keep it short, it ingested a rubber spacer which shattered my impeller blades. fortunately my motor passed the rubber and blades , but i have a perfectly good blower that needs a new impeller. i have not found anyone who can work on vortech blowers except vortech , and they priced the impeller for me , but will not send me one. has anyone dealt with repair through vortech or have any ideas on what my options are at this point. right now vortech has the blower and i should have an estimate tomorrow. there is no play in the impeller shaft, and the impeller had not spun on the shaft. the damage was due to the rubber spacer it ingested not worn bearings. im afraid vortech is going to want to replace impeller , discharge tube , bearings/seals and who knows what else... please help if you have any advice. thanks, dave

You basically have 2 options.

1. Buy a new head unit.
    2. Have Vortech rebuild it.

Junior SCH Member
    I appreciate your simplification of my situation. You may want to look at a thread BlownSVTCobra posted which explains in explicit detail how to tear down and rebuild a vortech head unit. I have had the head unit repaired by vortech and they were reasonable , however there is a third option. I had to pay vortech for minor rebuild , impeller and baloot (discharge tube ) when I really could have replaced the impeller alone given the instructions i mentioned. (price difference of $110 for impeller , or $490 through vortech). Just a FYI for anyone else in similar situation.