Thread: Timming

Junior SCH Member

Timming

I installed a t-trim a few weeks ago and would like to know how much timming should i set my car to?It`s a 98 mustang GT bone stock engine;o/r x-pipe;42# inj.;255lph fuel pump;LMAF.I`m pushing 14 psi with 7degrees of timming and get no detonation.What would be a good # to try?Stock they come at 10 degrees.Any help would be apreciated thanks

10 degrees (+ or - 2 degrees) is a good starting point. at 14 psi, i would get better fuel and a good tune if you plan on anything over 14 degrees base. do you have a boost retard unit ?
    306 DSS, S-TRIM W/RENEGADE PULLIES, EXTRUDE HONED LOWER GT40, FULLY PORTED AND LOC WIRED GT40 HEADS, PERMANENT 10 INCH SLICKS.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WOHORSY
    10 degrees (+ or - 2 degrees) is a good starting point. at 14 psi, i would get better fuel and a good tune if you plan on anything over 14 degrees base. do you have a boost retard unit ?
    For now i don`t plan on going over that at all.Do they even make boost retard units for the 4.6L motor?

msd makes a four channel ignition that can be programmed to retard the timing at a specific rate and rpm point to prevent engine damage due to detonation caused by excessive timing, part #62151.
    306 DSS, S-TRIM W/RENEGADE PULLIES, EXTRUDE HONED LOWER GT40, FULLY PORTED AND LOC WIRED GT40 HEADS, PERMANENT 10 INCH SLICKS.

For the mod motors i think it is best to get the car (mod wise) where you want and have a custom chip burnt on the dyno.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    For the mod motors i think it is best to get the car (mod wise) where you want and have a custom chip burnt on the dyno.
    I will get a chip but first i want to get everything done to it(P&P heads;Intake;TB;etc...)

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WOHORSY
    msd makes a four channel ignition that can be programmed to retard the timing at a specific rate and rpm point to prevent engine damage due to detonation caused by excessive timing, part #62151.
    I checked it out and will probably pick one up by next summer.Thanks