Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VR4 help PLEASE!

Senior SCH Member
    where did you get your 8 rib pully setup speedytang?

Senior SCH Member
    Wonder where I can get the 8 rib set up for my Z28? Probally from Craig. Also, should I move the impeller closer to the rear of the case by adding more shims? OR should the impeller be closer to teh output shaft? I'm going to get a pry bar and fully extend the belt tension. I'm about 1/2 away from the end of the range to tighten the idler pulley.

Also, considering you have an 8 rib pulley.....Makes me think I would be running 10psi with the 8 rib as you are. Might have to invest in the 8 rib soon!
    Last edited by Dirk Diggler; 06-28-2004 at 11:56 AM.

Senior SCH Member
    Well, I took my car out for a spin. In first gear, the boost went up to 8 at about 5500rpms. I took the car up to 6200rpms and once I got past 5500, the boost dropped to 5.5??? Either my belt is slipping or my ball drive is not tight enough. Now, I was having this problem with the toruqe on teh ball drive at 54inch/lbs then added a shim (0.05). My torque on the pulley was now 58inch/lbs and the boost seemed to get a bit better, but was only giving me 8psi. I added another .050 shim and the boost was very consistant with 65inch lbs of torque on teh pulley. NOt sure why my boost is falling in the upper rpms? I was really expecting a lot more of the VR4 :(

Belt slip........
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    Spoke with Craig and he said the same thing. I have a 6in crank pulley and a 3.25 s/c pulley. Later, I am going to put my 4inch pulley on to see if there is any change. Where can I get a 7 inch crank pulley for a chevy?

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Check the Vortech web site or even ASP they will probably have one.

Senior SCH Member
    Speedytang,

Thanks for all of the hellp along the way! I flipped my idler and was able to tighten the crap out of my belt. The belt was so tight that it was rubbing on the water pump pulley:o So for now my plan is to get a smaller belt, maybe 1 inch. Save up for the 8 rib setup and get that later.