Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's a good blower cam?

92stanglx
    Thanks for all the advice! I decided to go with the Trick Flow stage 1. I am using the Twisted Wedge heads so it should work well with these. Also, this cam is supposed to be a lot more smog friendly than the stage 2.

!@#$% California emmissions!

I'll let you know how it turns out!

thats a nice choice.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fanglemeister
    I'm with you on this one, even with the added displacement the TFS #2 cam will have some trouble under CA emissions. And regardless, it is far from being the idle to 6k powerband grind that you seek.

The TFS #1 isn't a bad choice for you, I'd also take a look at Steeda's #19 grind - 220/226 duration, 115 LSA, and also the Comp Cams 35-312-8 which is about the same duration and LSA as the #19 but with added lift which you could put to good use with those TFS heads :)

As for effect of LSA, a wider LSA has less overlap (both valves open briefly) than a tighter LSA with the same overall duration numbers, so less hydrocarbons are sucked out (scavenged) by the exhaust during overlap, gets you a better hydrocarbon number on the smog test. A wide LSA makes the torque curve broader and flatter, less peaky; a tight LSA is the opposite, makes for a narrower peaky powerband, but with a higher peak number. Drag racers don't care about smog or broad power, they want the highest peak horsepower, ergo look for a 108-110 LSA, even alot less for radical combos.
    Tight lobe seperations are for engines with restrictive cylinder heads, such as GT-40 heads. Quality high flow cylinder heads work much better with 112-116 lobe seperations. Peak horsepower does not win races, the most average horsepower wins races.
    Last edited by Outlaw5.0; 09-16-2004 at 04:38 PM.