Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What's a good blower cam?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a good blower cam?

92stanglx

What's a good blower cam?

I'm trying to figure out what cam I am going to run with my blower motor. Here's what I am building;

331 shortblock
    9:1 compression
    TFS twisted wedge heads
    GT-40 intake (ported and polished)
    Vortech S-Trim w/ 8lbs of boost

Here is my criteria for selecting a cam;

- The car is going to be street driven
    - California emssions legal :(
    - Good idle
    - good power from idle to 6k

Some people recommended the TFS stage 2 but it seems like it would be too big. I am considering the stage 1. Are there any better alternatives? Also, can someone please explain LSA and how it affects blower motors?

Thx!

I personally like the TFS stage 2. RdRunnr runs the same cam and he went 9.91 his last time down the track. I'll be running the same cam.

His combo is this........

347 short block
    9.0:1 compression
    E-brock Vic Jr's - box stock
    Holley systemax intake - box stock
    YS trim with about 15-17 psi of boost.

Senior SCH Member
    89 GT - old combo -AOD, S-trimed, 302, stock short block - 6.67@106 with a 1.60 60ft, 4.10 gears. dyno 474rwhp, best in 1/4 3.55 gears 10.83@128 1.67
    Damn them stock cranks :(
    new comb in the works Dart 331 turbo :D

98 GT - its a turd, but I like it ;)
    00 F-250 CC PSD 2WD- chip, converter

I used a Trick Flow Stage 2 with the ProCharger worked great.

Ian

Junior SCH Member Blown9SecStang's Avatar
    Check these ones out!!!!! http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Cu...HTML/76-81.asp

Look under the Blower Section!!!
    Drag Racers go straight to the finish line. The other guys drive in circles looking for it.

Junior SCH Member
    I use the AFM B41 which is almost exactly the same as the TFS stage 2. I've ran the TFS stage 1 in the past without a blower, good idle and good power. Dont know if either one of these will pass CA. emissions, I live in MI. we dont have any emissions as of now. :D

Rich

I use a comp blower cam PART # 35-306-8 284h-r14. passed california emissions with flying colors, keep in mind that my motor is a 306. You can always have ED CURTIS hook you up with a custom grind. I heard the man has talent. :)
    Jorge

anything from 112-114 lsa's work really good in our engines. I ran the stage one tfs with excellent results, and i think the #2 would net a lil better results at the top of the tach. Any of the comp cams blower grinds will certainly do the trick.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Another happy Stage II owner here..... and it's cheap :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 92stanglx

Here is my criteria for selecting a cam;

- The car is going to be street driven
    - California emssions legal :(
    - Good idle
    - good power from idle to 6k

Some people recommended the TFS stage 2 but it seems like it would be too big. I am considering the stage 1. Are there any better alternatives? Also, can someone please explain LSA and how it affects blower motors?

Thx!
    I'm with you on this one, even with the added displacement the TFS #2 cam will have some trouble under CA emissions. And regardless, it is far from being the idle to 6k powerband grind that you seek.

The TFS #1 isn't a bad choice for you, I'd also take a look at Steeda's #19 grind - 220/226 duration, 115 LSA, and also the Comp Cams 35-312-8 which is about the same duration and LSA as the #19 but with added lift which you could put to good use with those TFS heads :)

As for effect of LSA, a wider LSA has less overlap (both valves open briefly) than a tighter LSA with the same overall duration numbers, so less hydrocarbons are sucked out (scavenged) by the exhaust during overlap, gets you a better hydrocarbon number on the smog test. A wide LSA makes the torque curve broader and flatter, less peaky; a tight LSA is the opposite, makes for a narrower peaky powerband, but with a higher peak number. Drag racers don't care about smog or broad power, they want the highest peak horsepower, ergo look for a 108-110 LSA, even alot less for radical combos.
    Chris

<---- Yet another Stage 2 owner. :D

I have the same combo as you and at 10#'s of Novi 2000 boost put down 510 rwhp@5600rpm untuned. I do experience a little "cam surge" if I'm crusing in a higher gear at low (<2000) rpm. The idle has a nice lope to it and it seems to be an overall good performer.

Good luck with your decision.

SCH Member
    running the F-cam with a 306, Performer heads, Performer RPM intake, Paxton VR4 @ 8lbs.. no dyno #'s or track times, but the car feels real strong.

Another happy stage 2 user here
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage

Junior SCH Member
    B-21
    I'm not speeding officer, I just look fast!

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    If you need emissions your stuck with a CompCam for 50 states and I have not looked lately if they have such a beast or the E-cam to pass the visual because of the EPA #. I can use a PMS and pass any emissions with about any blower cam choice but without that EPA# it is a waste of time.