Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F me....damn white smoke exhaust

blown5oh

F me....damn white smoke exhaust

I just got my car back 3 weeks ago (I've got a novi 1k seeing 12# boost). The things been running like a beast....till yesterday.

First off, because of the boost (I think), I'm sucking up some oil through the PCV and into the intake. I can't believe they don't make anything to stop this......I know I'm not the only one this happens to.

Secondly, I'm running street radials and get no traction. Yesterday I took the car out and romped 1st and 2nd. I got absolutely NO traction in second and the RPMs got to 7k when I noticed and got off the gas.

Now I get white smoke out the exhaust as well as a nice stream of oil coming out right underneath the throttle body.

I'm thinking I may have blown a head gasket. It's possible, but what do you think? (Kev? ;) ). Could I have overspun or blown the head unit too?

Either way it's going back to my buddy for some repair and TLC, but I figured I'd share my latest woes. :(

You may have just smoked an intake gasket if you're lucky, I doubt that the blower is fried.

More than likely it's the H/G though.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Sounds like an intake gasket to me.

Leakdown and compression test would be a good start.

Ian

blown5oh
    I guess spinning the motor to the tune of 7k may have blown either the head or intake gasket.......better the gasket than my motor. :D

I was thinking it was the head unit itself because of the amount of oil getting to the throttle body.

blown5oh
    I blew my oil seal and the oil was sucked up into the upper intake and was pooling up and dripping out and down the valve cover when the car was off. Oh well, off to Paxton it goes.

Junior SCH Member
    I am in the process of replacing my head gaskets but I noticed the same thing when I removed my upper manifold, oil EVERYWHERE! It was all the way up to the throttlebody but not outside the throttlebody. When I took the plennum cover off my Edlebrock upper oil streamed out, WTF! My head gasket was blown between 7 & 8 including the water jacket but didn't look like any oil passage was involved so where is the oil coming from?

Junior SCH Member
    well the only thing i can think of besides the blower seal is when the head gasket blows maybe the crankcase got pressurized and blew oil up through the pcv? if thats possible

Junior SCH Member
    Sounds possible but after doing my head gaskets, finished 2 days ago, I removed the upper plenum to torque the lower and there was STILL oil getting in there. I cleaned the upper spotless before the engine fired after doing the head gaskets and now it's saturated again. I'm at a loss on this one, and I tried a new PCV valve. My NOVI is not leaking ANY oil, and the outside of the throttlebody butterfly is spotless as well. In my Edelbrock upper where the PCV hose comes in seems to be the most wet with oil. Anyone else?

blown5oh
    Actually that's part of my problem too. My crankcase got pressurized and oil was being sucked up through the PCV. I'm getting Downs Motorsport valve covers w/ the oil-evac pump.

Senior SCH Member
    How about some new rings to really solve the problem?
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

Junior SCH Member
    My engine has 17k original miles and when the heads were off I could still see the original cross hone from the factory. I have a K&N breather on my valve cover so crankcase pressure shouldn't be the problem. Oh well, it's not blowing blue smoke so I'll just drive it.

blown5oh
    I've got 12k original miles myself, and the motor is still running VERY strong. Once day when it blows up or if I just feel like going that route if it doesn't break first, I'll go 351 or something like that.

Senior SCH Member
    A friend of mine who builds my motors told me this one time and then he proved it to me with my motor. He originally worked at a Ford dealership and told me that he had to re-ring more 5.0 motors then I could ever imagine. I guess Ford built a ton with each of the three ring gaps lined up. I had some serious blow by on my motor which was a low mileage motor. We pulled it apart and sure enough, the ring gaps were lined up. I guess it was like a silent recall and when a customer would complain, then the dealership would fix it.
    Chris
    NMCA SR6381

Senior SCH Member
    BTW, I had a breather on my valve cover and on the dyno, the dip stick would inch out and then start spraying oil out at 6k+ RPMs.
    Chris
    NMCA SR6381