Thread: Will my shifter hold up to being blown?

Junior SCH Member

Will my shifter hold up to being blown?

I'm worried about my tranny holding up to the power of a novi2k. Car is a 92 gt aod with ported gt40pheads, ported explorer intake, e cam, 1.6rr, 76mass air, 65mtb, longtubes, offroad h, flows, pullies, 24lb injectors, 190fuel pump etc, tranny is stock aod with beefier clutches, shift kit and big trans cooler. I think i'm putting down about 270-280rwhp now and will probably only run about 9lbs of boost. Do you guys think my stock tranny will hold up to the extra power of the blower or not? This car is a daily driver and i can't afford to replace the tranny anytime soon. I can get the novi 2000 for 1500 installed.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Shift-kit'd mostly stock AODs in good condition are generally rated to handle @ 400-450hp max, but the way you treat it will determine how long it will last at that power level. IE you should try to avoid WOT in OD. Heat and dirt are the enemy with any slushbox - suggest you also add an inline filter to the extra cooler, which is a good thing BTW.
    Chris

Junior SCH Member
    400-450 flywheel or rw? I baby it and dont get on it a lot and have NEVER shifted into od at wot.

OD is a weak link, but it is sure not the only one.

I have broken all of my AOD's going from 1-2 (snaps the input shaft) I would personally do a input shaft, larger cooler, and a Lentech VB.

Ian

Junior SCH Member
    Ian: I thought about doing those ugprades.... only thing is after i spent the cash on all that i would halfway payed for a lentech so i was just going to get a lentech after running the stock aod for a year. I have a larger cooler already.

OK good plan, I would avoid shifting into OD at any sort of power, NO 1-D-1, and check fluid level every couple of weeks.

Ian

Junior SCH Member
    Do you think it would hold up for a year like that? I really wnt to get blown.

The AOD is like a stock block - some can push them to 500 HP + and others break them @ 350 - 400.

Ian

in my little bit of research, it seems that a manual v/b really helps em last a bit longer as well.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Junior SCH Member
    How much does the lentech manual vb go for nowdays anyway? If the tranny where to go out after i installed it could it be re used or will it most likely break it too? How would i add an inline filter to my cooler? Is 1500 a good price for a used novi 2k? Oh and thanks for all the help guys!!

Check out www.lentechautomatics.com for pricing...

If the trans were to break the VB should be OK.

$1500 is an excellent price for a NOVI 2K, make sure it is in good shape and complete.

Ian

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    Check out www.lentechautomatics.com for pricing...

If the trans were to break the VB should be OK.

$1500 is an excellent price for a NOVI 2K, make sure it is in good shape and complete.

Ian
    Great! I'm thinking i'll go with a lentech vb now and hopefully when i buy the whole lentech I can re use it and they will sell me the tranny for cheaper without it...