Thread: put s-trim on car, now having some problems

Senior SCH Member

put s-trim on car, now having some problems

i haven't gotten into boost yet cause im waiting for a good tune, im running about 9deg w/o the grey chip plugged in, and 1deg on the btm, 42# injectors with the s-trim w/ an 8# pulley and afm power pipe, at idle it runs very rich, not to mention it WON'T idle .. if i start it and take my foot off the gas, it will stall out a second later, fuel pressure is at like 38-39psi WOT, just about 40psi. its running stock ECU.

i have a video i made of it you will be able to see some of the problems...

i can't figure out why it won't idle right and keeps stalling out. also, last night when i was driving it around, what looked like white smoke was coming out the back, but there was no coolant leaks, and it isn't a head gasket, i haven't gotten on it so theres no way it could have been detonating, espically with 9deg timing i mean come on =p i checked the oil breather cap and theres no milky white residue on it, or inside the valve cover.

anyway, please look at the vid and you will be able to see what i mean, thanks.
    Rich

http://www.ftlauderdaleracing.com/mo...=getit&lid=213

Senior SCH Member
    How about just a little more fuel pressure?

Senior SCH Member
    it already runs rich as hell

Senior SCH Member
    have you tried it?

my 5.0 did the same thing when i put larger injectors on until i kicked up the fuel pressure a bit. didnt change my a/f ratio that i noticed.

Senior SCH Member
    when it was at like 20psi fuel pressure it actually idled, after we upped it, it refused to idle

Senior SCH Member
    weird. i run 36lb injectors on my 5.0 and i am actually running 50 psi with the vacuum off. maybe a little less than that actually since i backed it off a little. the aeromotive adujstable fuel pressure reulator i got said to run at least 48 psi.

Junior SCH Member
    Hello, Well my friend your Stock Comp. May not like the 42's? I know alot of
    people have great luck with 42 and no chip, AND Some don't, Im living proof.

Look for any Vac. Leaks!! Everything you have setup should work fine.
    Time for a tune!! Damn Wide Band shows its stupid rich at idel.
    Good Luck!

Senior SCH Member
    :(

Junior SCH Member
    Quote....
    "9deg w/o the grey chip plugged in"

What little grey chip? The Spout connector? What year is this car?
    SOLD!!!! 442.3 rwhp 421.2 ftlbs @ 10 psi SAE
    87 Mustang GT
    306, 10-1 comp., B303, J&P ported 6037's, ported fake Ebrock intake, 65mm tb, 70mm egr, 3.73, 1.7 RR's, Pro-M 75 S/C calibration, 42lb injectors, B&M RIPPER, BBK LT's, RACE MAGNUMS w/offroad! and Pretty blue TAYLOR's!
    308.1 rwhp 327.6 rwtq -N/A

Junior SCH Member
    If that spout connector is out, put it IN!! And turn the BTM to 0.75.

SCH Member

super charger

hello all, new to this site! hey dude i had my sq put on the same of your post. it has been a complete nightmare for myself also. i have also experienced white smoke, car dieing, and major FUSTRATION! the people that put it on said they cleaned my knock off sensor, then i picked it up, and the car ran fine. then it acted again. my check engine light came, and i took it to autozone where i had them perform the check. i cam up with error 301 = #1 cylinder misfire, 1443 Evaporative emmision control system control valve, 1445 purge flow sensor circuit high input. i replaced the plug wires tonight, so i will see in the morning. today at lunch i got in it HARD, and i thought the ol beotch was going to die. i have not got a tune yet, waitng on the guys to call me back for an appointment. let me know if you find anything! oh yeah i have a 98 gt with the vortech sq.

Senior SCH Member
    we bumped the timing up to 16deg and set it to take out 2deg per pound of boost on the msd btm, we replaced the idle air control motor and used a maf translator to lean it out at idle and we got it to idle just incase anyone was having the same problem... what does everyone think about the 16deg? i think its a bit high for a blower car, its hitting 10lbs, the most ive ever ran was 10deg with a half of degreee taken out per pound on the btm

SCH Member
    +1 to putting the spout back in!

Man, people dont understand what that does to your timing. The computer uses that to partially control idle. Pulling the spout is a safety trick, to guarantee an absolute total timing. If you do it, set your timing at what you want your TOTAL MAX timing to be.

I consider leaving the chip out equal to LIMP mode for the computer. The cars drive like total crap when you do this. You will have better results putting it in and backing your initial timing off even more. You do have to be careful though, as the ECU is going to advance it for you later. This is why a good chip/eec-tuner/fast/tweecer and dyno tune are SO important.

Hope that helps
    Jeff
    www.stangonline.com

Junior SCH Member
    hey rocker!!

Is this an S trim or an SQ?