Thread: My first POST on SCH!

Junior SCH Member

My first POST on SCH!

WOW, what a great site first of all. I just bought a 91 Notchback with 17,000 original miles with a NOVI 1000. The engine is bone stock, even stock headers! So I'm looking for some answers. I stumbled onto this site and am truly impressed. I've already found a few answers with the search engine but need a few more. I just got the car last week and am trying to weed out a few loose ends. First of all the FCU isn't even hooked up. The regulator was replaced with an Aeromotive unit and is at 40lbs. The previous owner said the FCU had a broken spring in it so a friend disconnected it, WTF. It has 24lb injectors and my theory is he just didn't replace the FCU disc when doing the injectors. The allen screws in the FCU don't look like they have ever been touched. I have a Fuel Pressure guage on the hood and it doesn't rise with boost - scary! Driving the car home I hit 5 lbs of boost but didn't push it w/ out knowing if everything was set up right. How should my Fuel Pressure rise when getting 5-6lbs boost? Sorry for the long post but figured it would help with any answers.

Welcome to the site :)

With the FMU off the regulator should raise the FP 1:1 - that means for each pound of boost it should raise the pressure by 1. So if you have 40 base and have 6 lbs of boost the FP @ WOT should be 46.

I would fix whatever problem the FMU has, slap a 24lb disk in it so you know you are safe. Down the road you may think about upgrading to a set of 30's with a calibrated mass air meter.

Ian

Welcome! Ian has hit it right on the head. This man knows! :D
    Jorge

blown5oh
    Welcome to the site. There's a great bunch of guys here who know what they're talking about.

I've got a set of 30# injectors if you need them. You'll just need to get a mass air meter calibrated for 30's. Email me if you're interested.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks fellas, I appreciate the help and I'm sure you'll see some more questions out of me! Also, is there anything else in the FCU? The guy I bought it from said he thought the "spring" in it is broken but he didn't sound too sure, otherwise I'll just order the disc.