Thread: Supercoupe Intercooler

Supercoupe Intercooler

I came across a intercooler from a 1989 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and I am wondering if I should take the time to try to make it work on my set up. I am running a Vortech S-Trim that sees 10lbs of boost at 5900 feet above sea level. The intercooler measures 8" wide x 16"long and about 3 1/2" thick, the inlet/outlet holes are 2 1/2 inches, but they look they can be made bigger. My question is, does anyone know if this intercooler flows enough CFM to work for a supercharged set up like mine, if so, where should I look to get the tubing to fab up the plumbing? Bottom line,, is it worth the time to make this work?...... Thanks.. Lee
    1988 5.0 Mustang,, 3" flair body kit, Vortech V2 S-Trim SQ, 347 FRPP Forged Stroker, Vortech V2 S-Trim SQ, FPS 200cc Alum Heads, Comp Blower Cam, G-Force T-5, Anderson Clutch,,, ect ect ect

POWDER & CERAMIC COATING - www.pristinepc.com
    SUPERCHARGER BELT TENSIONERS- www.elkperformance.com

I wanna get my kicks before the whole $hithouse goes up in flames -

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Small air/air intercoolers are not good on big cube engines, they act more or less like a temperature flywheel - it will cool the charge for a short burst but then will get heat-soaked (and can actually starts heating the air). For the cost to fab it up you could have water/methanol injection. I know someone might be selling a Ford Powerstroke I/C if you absolutely have to have air/air, this one's a little better suited, size-wise.
    Chris

Thats been the overall response I have been getting.. .. I guess I will concentrate on intalling the intercooler on Ebay ;) . . Thanks,, Lee
    1988 5.0 Mustang,, 3" flair body kit, Vortech V2 S-Trim SQ, 347 FRPP Forged Stroker, Vortech V2 S-Trim SQ, FPS 200cc Alum Heads, Comp Blower Cam, G-Force T-5, Anderson Clutch,,, ect ect ect

POWDER & CERAMIC COATING - www.pristinepc.com
    SUPERCHARGER BELT TENSIONERS- www.elkperformance.com

I wanna get my kicks before the whole $hithouse goes up in flames -