Thread: New guy with a question about putting a 1000 on an AOD car

Junior SCH Member

New guy with a question about putting a 1000 on an AOD car

I am ordering a novi 1000 and i am also gonna be swapping to a t-5z next winter but i would like to run the blower this summer will the stock input shaft of the AOD last with a blower bolted on, I'm plannig on leaveing the blower stock except for a UPR pipe. The car has the following mods done already

mac shorty headers
    O/R h-pipe
    40 series flowmasters
    underdrive pulleys
    BBk cold air intake
    shift kit
    3.73 gears

I'm just worried the shaft might not hold up, this car only sees nice weather and car shows

thanks for any help

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    I'd wager it would hold up, in fact with a good shift kit and a good cooler installed and the TV system set properly, it is probably as tough or tougher than any T5. If your AOD came out of an unknown vehicle just make sure it has the B or C OD servo installed. WHich shift kit are you running?

Precision Industries makes a beefy direct (inner) input shaft that you can install with the tranny out -- tranny disassembly is not required and you can keep the stock style "lockup" converter.

For the new stick I'd recommend skipping the T5, at minimum you should go with the 350-ftLb Tremec 3550 or the new 3550-II -- good to 375 ftLb and has .82 OD, a very nice box for the money IMO.
    Chris

Junior SCH Member
    I just picked up an AOD Notchback with a NOVI 1000 a few weeks ago and it feels like it will take the power for a long time. I just blew a head gasket 4 days ago but no Trans problems. I will be switching to a 5 speed in the next few weeks myself. Most likely a T5 till I can afford a 3550. The TV cable on mine was adjusted too loose when I got it so it wouldn't hold a shift long enough therefor bogging down. I adjusted the cable WAY out and it made a huge difference...rolling into the throttle after hitting second it will just ignite the tires.